Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi friends,am so glad theres a forum like this where we can share experiences.
my story is a lil bit long but i will summarise as much as i can
i am a 28 yr old female living in manchester.and am african in origin.(nigerian)
i left nigeria 2 years ago to study for a masters degree here in manchester.
coming to the uk to study was such a big accomplishment for me and every one was so happy for me.
but it turned out to be the worst experience of my life.
and thats because i cant relate with white people.i feel inferior to them and when ever am with them,i just freeze or keep mute.
it affected me so badly in school .the thing is,when i am with black people,i talk alot, am fun to be with and all my black friends love me and they say am very social intelligent and beautiful.but when it comes to been with white people.its just strange.my whole system shuts down and i cant even look them in the eye.even those that try to be nice with me,i end up scaring them away with my awkwardness.i have this believe that white people are superior to us blacks.and even when they talk to me,i feel I don't measure up with them.
it may sound strange to you all but its so serious.it has made me so depressed and unhappy .i have resigned from 2 jobs because i felt alone and left out. every day i try my best to see white people differently but it just doesnt work,even when i push myself to talk with them,i end up sounding foolish.the last job i resigned from ,we were like 12 people in a team.only 2 of us were blacks.the other black girl was born in the uk and interacted well with them.i try severally to emulate her and talk freely with them but it just doesnt work.i guess theres something am not doing right.i came to work one morning and i realised the other black girl had left the job.apparently she found a better job somewere else.and then I became the only black in the team.every one just kept behaving as if I wasn't present. even when I try to pick up a conversation ,I receive very cold replies. i got so depresses and unhappy. and that's how I resigned from the job
now av gotten a new job and I will be resuming next week.am so scared and worried.i don't want to screw up my new job., i really want to make friends with white people and be happy .
I will appreciate your contributions.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Hi,

I never spoke to a black person in my life (only online, if that counts). But the skin color does not make any difference at all, atleast not for me. It is what is inside of you that counts. If anything, i would be probably feeling little awkward myself :)

Dont really have any words of wisdom for you, just try to take it easy (i know it is hard).

Oh and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, BridgeToNos! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey bridgetonos welcome. :hyper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts