Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some items that trigger a memory of yours? A famous example would be the smell of crayons reminding you of Kindergarten.

Here are a couple of my examples as well:

- Pop-Tarts reminds me of the 1st grade. I ate them every morning before school cause they were my favorite food then. As good as Pop-Tarts are, they bring back bad memories... 1st grade was a nightmare for me. I got made fun of, had a lot of breakdowns, trying to cope with my parents divorce, etc. A lot of times when someone asks do I want a Pop-Tart I'll say "No" cause of the horrible sick feeling I get remembering all those bad days I had that all started with a Pop-Tart.

- Sprite reminds me of when I would go to the doctors as a kid. My mom would always buy me one at the pharmacy and tell me to drink it mainly. A good heart warming memory of mine actually.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My camcorder because I took it with me whenever me and my dad went on holiday :)
Also the smell of coffee because me, my sister and my mum and dad would sit in the bedroom and watch cartoons all morning on a weekend and my dad would have a cup of coffee. It was the only time we were all together in one room

·
i aten't dead
1,499 Posts
The smell of sun cream, reminds me of summer holidays as a kid, sitting on the beach in the wind eating gritty chips from the chippy, building giant castles in the sand, etc. Always makes it hard to put it on without going into 'memory mode'!

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
do songs count? cause there's this particular song that registers on an emotional level to me. I used to listen to it when I was in the worst time of my life, at the time it used to lessen the pain but now whenever I hear it, it just reminds me how bad everything was and how sad/horrible I felt at the time. Its almost like its hot wired to my sad emotion, no matter how good my mood was when I hear it, I just shut down drop everything I was doing before I heard it and then remiss about the event...

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do songs count? cause there's this particular song that registers on an emotional level to me. I used to listen to it when I was in the worst time of my life, at the time it used to lessen the pain but now whenever I hear it, it just reminds me how bad everything was and how sad/horrible I felt at the time. Its almost like its hot wired to my sad emotion, no matter how good my mood was when I hear it, I just shut down drop everything I was doing before I heard it and then remiss about the event...
Yeah they do count :). A lot of songs trigger good & bad memories for me.

Example:

Fake It - Seether reminds me of my gothic/emo phase when I was so angry all the time & getting into bad stuff. Anything by Seether, Three Days Grace, etc brings back horrible memories of that phase. Not trying to be stereotypical about them there, I'm just sayin'.

I hate it whenever a song, genre or band I use to love all of a sudden brings bad memories cause of something that may have happened during that time I was listening to them. Like how I use to love to listen to a lot of Classic Rock but that genre reminds me to much of my step dad who is an *** so its awkward to listen to Classic Rock nowadays.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
I was really into wrestling as a kid, so anytime I see anything about wrestling I think of that.

More recently, my parents got a divorce in early 2010 and I remember the video game Mass Effect definitely helped me just lose myself in another world and kind of escape reality while all this bad stuff was happening. It's my favorite game of all time and I'm really glad I had something to sort of escape reality into, especially at that point in time.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
There is a song by the kings of Leon that reminds me of my first job. Lykke Li's music reminds me of my lowest time, the XX remind me of a friend of mine and the song True Colours reminds me of my best friend

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
There's a really interesting non-subjective collection of pictures used to illicit memories from alzheimers/dementia patients.

It's called The sunshine on my face

Clap you hands and say yeah, over and over again, reminds me of a really good time in my life.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The smell of sun cream, reminds me of summer holidays as a kid, sitting on the beach in the wind eating gritty chips from the chippy, building giant castles in the sand, etc. Always makes it hard to put it on without going into 'memory mode'!
yea the sun cream one brings back alot of memories for me too. also the smell of cut grass brings back good memories. the smell of school supplies brings back bad memories tho. i hated school

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
Any car that looks alot similar to my ex's. I was in an abusive relationship, and have been scared to face him ever since I broke up with him 2 yrs ago.

Unfortunately, I ran into him just the other day sorta. Thank GOD... he didn't recognize me. I was in my car heading home from errands.. stopped at a red light, and i looked to the car next to me and there he was *sighs*

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Lots of random things. Things I don't normally remember until I encounter them. Is a song an item?

1. "Hands To Heaven" by Breathe. Reminds me of my first girlfriend and my first date and my first kiss and the way I felt about her. The smell of her hair. Hot, humid nights writing love letters to her. This song was on the radio seemingly every hour or so. The Richard Marx song "Endless Summer Nights" was also playing once when we were together on the grass outside my window. I almost had to pinch myself to check to see if it was real.

I was happy with her. I wanted to ask her out the first time I saw her but obviously couldn't (Me and SA go way back). I didn't think she could ever be with me because she just seemed so perfect to me in every way. I'm not sure how it happened but somehow, she asked me out. I think it was because when I saw her the first time, I didn't say anything but I did manage a nervous smile.

2. My dog's leash (the dog that died in 2001). I put it in a wooden box and put it in a storage container in the garage. Every now and then I run across it when I'm out there looking for something. Last time I was out there I noticed there was a piece of her fur in the box as well. I don't remember putting it there but I think I must have. Intense sadness. I also run across videos I made of her shortly before her death sometimes. I can't watch them. I made them thinking at least I'd have them but they're just too painful to watch.

3. Obviously, pictures. I have pictures that go back to 1972. Some of them are surprisingly vivid. But I see myself when I was very young (less than five years old). There's a bit of a familiarity there and I do remember some of it vaguely but it seems like I'm looking at someone else's life. I don't know how that boy ever became me. I still smile and laugh but I'm not really happy. I'm just absent minded. I forget that I'm unhappy sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if that was so even then. Like if I just smiled or laughed briefly and somebody took a picture.

·
FAILURE
618 Posts
Yeah they do count :). A lot of songs trigger good & bad memories for me.

Example:

Fake It - Seether reminds me of my gothic/emo phase when I was so angry all the time & getting into bad stuff. Anything by Seether, Three Days Grace, etc brings back horrible memories of that phase. Not trying to be stereotypical about them there, I'm just sayin'.

I hate it whenever a song, genre or band I use to love all of a sudden brings bad memories cause of something that may have happened during that time I was listening to them. Like how I use to love to listen to a lot of Classic Rock but that genre reminds me to much of my step dad who is an *** so its awkward to listen to Classic Rock nowadays.
Thats exactly how I feel whenever I hear that song and its a beautiful song :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
Songs and bands that i used to love and listened to a lot during different times in my life (so far), which i now cant listen to becuase of the memories, or because of the time i listened to them.

E.g. I used to listen to a lot of pixie lott on the way to my work experience and while i was there. I enjoyed a most of my time there (i was usually on my own, surrounded by around 10-20 dogs at a time), but i didnt enjoy the parts where i had to talk to customers, my boss and the other one or two other girls that were doing work experience.
As a result of listening to pixie lott for about 1 month, i started associating it with work experience and now i cant listen to it without cringing despite the fact that i largely had an alright time as far as having SA and having to deal with people. I think the dogs largely helped ne through it :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Any car that looks alot similar to my ex's. I was in an abusive relationship, and have been scared to face him ever since I broke up with him 2 yrs ago.

Unfortunately, I ran into him just the other day sorta. Thank GOD... he didn't recognize me. I was in my car heading home from errands.. stopped at a red light, and i looked to the car next to me and there he was *sighs*
Well done for getting outta that relationship and for not losing your head completly when you saw him :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good old British seaside! Windbreaks, old people sitting in deckchairs, cheapo bucket and spades from the little beachfront stalls with inflatables hanging outside, sandunes, rock pools, freezing sea, trying to avoid sitting on the dog friendly beach, straw mats that stick to your backside, grains of sand in your sandwiches, dripping ice cream, stick o'rock, stripey beach chalets, brown sand and eating fish and chips out of newspaper. :boogie

I have too many memory provoking things to list. I'm a bit of a memory collector myself, if something makes me remember something, I'll keep it regardless of what it is; good memories are my most treasured possession.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts