Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to this forum and have been reading these threads and it appears to me most people on here have mild to moderate sas where they can still function at jobs and relationships. I was wondering if any of you guys ever had crippling sas before and got over it or never had it to begin with?

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
An old friend of mine used to have crippling SA. He had to leave high school and didn't leave his house for a few years. He had a therapist see him once in awhile but he refused to talk sometimes, and was on a heavy medication. He's better, though I don't know how he did it, I think probably a mixture of the right meds and therapy, but he still prefers to be alone and inside.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
You must not be reading the right posts, I see plenty of users here whose lives are greatly limited due to the severity of their SA. (Not "SAS"...that's the website name.)

What exactly do you use to judge the severity of SA in general...? Because somebody can manage a job or relationship and still have horrific anxiety, perhaps they're just better at handling it, or have a good support system. And who's to say they aren't really struggling to maintain that job or relationship...?

Some people are good at, say, working, but are total crap at maintaining friendships. And vice-versa. SA does not manifest equally in all parts of life. If you saw me walking in public, you'd probably have no idea I have SA, because I'm just fine being in public...but then try to interact with me, and you'd see. I'm not so fine at interacting.

Occasionally I'm even really confident in situations that normally have me frozen with fear; I can't explain why that happens, it just does. :stu If you saw me only in that situation would you be able to say I don't have SA?

Plus, some people's SA might seem mild at first but then gets worse over time...mine has.

I'm on SSI (government support) for my social anxiety as I can't work (I've never been able to), and I've never had a relationship/sex, haven't had friends since I was in school (1995-97), and have been practically housebound and dependent on my parents my entire life (37 years). Is that severe enough to count...? :|

(I'm by far not the worst off on this site, either.)

Also, and most importantly, there is a site rule here against judging who has SA worse or not or who "really" has SA...just so you're aware. I do not see what the point is of coming to a site like this and judging whose anxiety is worse, what use is that? We're all struggling...that's what matters.

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
Seems that way to me too. Some people on here don't even have SAD. I think there was one new poster today who said he didn't but was a boring person.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Just because someone has a job,relationship, etc, doesn't mean that they don't have severe anxiety. It is all internal and there is no way you can invalidate someone's suffering based on the fact they have these things in their life.

It takes courage to put yourself out there to get rejected for a job offer, go through an interview, make the first move romantically, be vulnerable in a relationship, and overcome your fears.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes I see that too. most people here have either mild or moderate version of Social Anxiety which is lucky for them.I guess I have crippling severe anxiety which makes me hard to function on relationships or a career.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
it took me a while to get used to work about 6 months till I was comfortable there but if I work with someone new It a different story and there are people one here who dont like to leave there house

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am pretty new to this forum and have been reading these threads and it appears to me most people on here have mild to moderate sas where they can still function at jobs and relationships. I was wondering if any of you guys ever had crippling sas before and got over it or never had it to begin with?
That's how it appears to me as well. Oftentimes with websites, though, there are many people who never post so there could be a lot more with crippling social anxiety disorder that we just don't hear from.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Yeah most people here are at least able to live their life to some degree. Which is a good thing of course. There's a bunch of us really low functioning people here too. We like to hide though. ;)

I haven't heard from anybody here who's been really crippled by it and got better so far, which is kinda depressing. So I wonder about that too.
<----- Was crippled by it. Got out. Now only have low-moderate sa.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You must not be reading the right posts, I see plenty of users here whose lives are greatly limited due to the severity of their SA. (Not "SAS"...that's the website name.)

What exactly do you use to judge the severity of SA in general...? Because somebody can manage a job or relationship and still have horrific anxiety, perhaps they're just better at handling it, or have a good support system. And who's to say they aren't really struggling to maintain that job or relationship...?

Some people are good at, say, working, but are total crap at maintaining friendships. And vice-versa. SA does not manifest equally in all parts of life. If you saw me walking in public, you'd probably have no idea I have SA, because I'm just fine being in public...but then try to interact with me, and you'd see. I'm not so fine at interacting.

Occasionally I'm even really confident in situations that normally have me frozen with fear; I can't explain why that happens, it just does. :stu If you saw me only in that situation would you be able to say I don't have SA?

Plus, some people's SA might seem mild at first but then gets worse over time...mine has.

I'm on SSI (government support) for my social anxiety as I can't work (I've never been able to), and I've never had a relationship/sex, haven't had friends since I was in school (1995-97), and have been practically housebound and dependent on my parents my entire life (37 years). Is that severe enough to count...? :|

Also, and most importantly, there is a site rule here against judging who has SA worse or not or who "really" has SA...just so you're aware. I do not see what the point is of coming to a site like this and judging whose anxiety is worse, what use is that? We're all struggling...that's what matters.
While I agree with much of your post, it seems like that SAS rule you mention is rarely followed. It's not uncommon to see posts telling people that they're lazy, need to get off their ***, and aren't trying.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use to be crippled by SA but I think it was more of me being extremely sheltered as a child as I step out in the world and succeed it slowly falls away day by day

381 Posts
No. I don't have SA.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Well, there are varying degrees of SA, but yeah I'd guess that the people who have stable jobs and relationships have less severe SA than people who struggle to get jobs and dates. There are people who genuinely struggle at school/college/work to the extent that they have to pull out, and I've seen people like that be treated with scorn on here and called lazy.

But I wouldn't say that 'most' people here have mild social anxiety.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

100% agree with this.

My SA is most likely mild compared to the people on here. It was extremely bad when I first joined here (not crippling), and now I can function a whole lot better and my SA doesn't bother me as much. Matter of fact, some people would say I don't even have SA if they saw me in person and actually talked to me. There are still a few things that trigger it though. Regardless, there shouldn't be a competition of who has it the worst. Most of us here have it, regardless if it's crippling or not.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
I had crippling anxiety at one point, I've gotten better.

·
&#51088;&#49888;&#51012; &#49324;&#46993; &#54644;
1,420 Posts
100% agree with this.

My SA is most likely mild compared to the people on here. It was extremely bad when I first joined here (not crippling), and now I can function a whole lot better and my SA doesn't bother me as much. Matter of fact, some people would say I don't even have SA if they saw me in person and actually talked to me. There are still a few things that trigger it though. Regardless, there shouldn't be a competition of who has it the worst. Most of us here have it, regardless if it's crippling or not.

I'm with both of you on this one. My SA has its ups and downs. Some triggers come and go for me. I used to only be able to buy what I could carry for groceries (like at a gas station, no less) because I couldn't go inside an actual grocery store and push around a cart. Too much visibility. One day, that just went away and I never even noticed.
I used to get myself so worked up that I would hyperventilate and pass out.
I used to think I would kill myself.
But hey, a couple of days ago, I met up with a friend at a brand new restaurant. I parked on the street (for some reason, most of my SA is now car-related), walked into the bar, sat at the bar, ordered a drink, and waited for my friend. I was freaking the hell out but I'm almost positive had anyone seen me, they would've maybe thought I was fidgety as I played with my phone.

A very long time ago, I had a friend tell me that her life was rougher than mine, that her pain was worse than mine. She had no idea what she was comparing herself to. It is an awful feeling to be invalidated in such a way. Whether one's anxiety is crippling or not, aren't we all on here for some relief?

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,656 Posts
It has always been about the same for me, when I was younger I did not know how to react so it felt worst. As I grew older, the anxiety was still there, but I had acquired the skills necessary to avoid such situations, or how to blend in.

If I could I would never work another day in my life. It is still very uncomfortable, I'm always on edge. Talking with people is the same way, I always experience anxiety talking to people who are not my family. It gets to the point where I start feeling light headed if I have to do it for too long.

I've learned the skills necessary to avoid those situations though, at work, I bust my rear doing the job, where the focus is on the work.. most people have a competitive spirit about them, and I play on that. I have them also focus on the work, without ever telling them to. This helps in two ways, one the focus of others is not on me, and two my focus is on the work and not others.

I've learned how people work, in a way. I spend most of my time, thinking about how people think, it is almost an obsession. Mostly because people absolutely confuse me, but also because when you have this sort of knowledge, you learn how to remain invisible, even out in public. (sounds creepy, it is not.. my intentions are not miscreant)

As far as relationships, alcohol did wonders in my late teens early 20s. My first girlfriend asked me out, eight years later I got married to her friend after a failed attempt to get us back together.. that is another story all together.

With all of that said, there are a lot of people who have it much worst than me. I don't want to trivialize anyone's anxiety problems. What works for me, may never work for them.. heck, it really is not a cure to begin with, it is more so just a way of life... and it is not befitting for everyone.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts