Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started taking Zoloft about a week ago, and for the first few days I took 12.5mg, and after I began to take 25mg. The first few days I was fine, had no side effects whatsoever, but when I began to take the 25mg I started to have very rapid heartbeat, and even woke up in the middle of the night because of it, and I was even more anxious. I went to my psychiatrist today who told me to go completely off of it, and now she wants to put me on Celexia. I was wondering since I had issues with Zoloft that maybe I might have issues with all SSRI's or do they all differ for everyone? Anyone else have these experiences?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It's possible that it will differ, you never know as people react differently to each med.

I was on Lexapro for many years (very similar to Celexa) and it helped manage my depression.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I started taking Zoloft about a week ago, and for the first few days I took 12.5mg, and after I began to take 25mg. The first few days I was fine, had no side effects whatsoever, but when I began to take the 25mg I started to have very rapid heartbeat, and even woke up in the middle of the night because of it, and I was even more anxious. I went to my psychiatrist today who told me to go completely off of it, and now she wants to put me on Celexia. I was wondering since I had issues with Zoloft that maybe I might have issues with all SSRI's or do they all differ for everyone? Anyone else have these experiences?
the panic attacks will go away over time, you should try a slower titration 3wks titration in 12.5mg intervals worked for me, though i still got panic attacks when i hit the effective dose they subsided after a few weeks. also my psychiatrist gave me kpins to take as needed during the ramp up

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I've been on Zoloft for a long time and it's been good to me. I've never tried another SSRI. Everybody reacts to these drugs diffferently and you may have to experiment to find one that works for you. I just happened to luck out and find one that worked for me on the first try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the panic attacks will go away over time, you should try a slower titration 3wks titration in 12.5mg intervals worked for me, though i still got panic attacks when i hit the effective dose they subsided after a few weeks. also my psychiatrist gave me kpins to take as needed during the ramp up
So was it just possible that I was having panic attacks? And is that a common side effect of taking zoloft? I want to try celexia and not give up so easily because I feel like I am reacting badly to ssris.But my psychiatrist also recommended that I first talk to my gp about taking beta blockers because I have asthma, but it might be more helpful in my situation. I'm just scared that I have all these strange complications that make all medications not work for me :um
I've been on Zoloft for a long time and it's been good to me. I've never tried another SSRI. Everybody reacts to these drugs diffferently and you may have to experiment to find one that works for you. I just happened to luck out and find one that worked for me on the first try.
Glad to know that you were able to find the right ssri the first time :) Its quite annoying having all these trips to the psychiatrist trying to figure out what is right for me. Not to mention expensive:blank

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
how come that a med indicated for panic disorder might cause... panic disorder?

·
Registered
301 Posts
So was it just possible that I was having panic attacks? And is that a common side effect of taking zoloft? I want to try celexia and not give up so easily because I feel like I am reacting badly to ssris.But my psychiatrist also recommended that I first talk to my gp about taking beta blockers because I have asthma, but it might be more helpful in my situation. I'm just scared that I have all these strange complications that make all medications not work for me :um
yes my psychiatrist said increased anxiety is a very common start up side effect of zoloft. i was having severe panic attacks which i never had before
but once i hit the effective dose for a few weeks it went away completely. like i said he gave me an rx of kpins until it finally went away, this did help but i used them very sparingly and a very low dose as to not become dependent. overall the side effects are gone now except a little insomnia and my short term memory is a bit worse than it used to be but it has not affected me much

again the key for me was titrating slowly at very low intervals...always 12.5mg increased every 3 weeks...a few times i went up faster or more dose and i had side effects ...you might just be more sensitive to the medication

Glad to know that you were able to find the right ssri the first time :) Its quite annoying having all these trips to the psychiatrist trying to figure out what is right for me. Not to mention expensive:blank
at first i picked a psychiatrist at random and she had a horrible manner and prescribed me a lot of stuff mood stabilizers , antipsychotics, etc.. without even saying what she thought was wrong with me.

i threw out her prescriptions and i went online and used the castle-connoly directory to find the best psychiatrist in my area. It took a few months to get an appointment but he was extremely good and knowledgeable.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Thank you. I know many people have terrible issues with these drugs but they are a Godsend to many others. I hope you find one that works for you soon. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts