Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some group activities lately and it's fine for the most part. But occasionally I get really grumpy and irritated with decisions that are out of my control. Such as where to eat, standing in the sunlight with no shade for 15 minutes, or being seated with people I don't really care to talk to. Lots of outdoor activities are at around noon which is really bad for fair skinned people like myself. Sometimes when it's a group convo thing, there is one loud annoying person who dominates and blathers on about various bulls***. I have to try my hardest not to roll my eyes while they speak.

Maybe I'm just antisocial, I don't know. I was thinking it's because I've gotten so used to doing my own thing that compromise has become a foreign concept.

·
PRISMATIC
287 Posts
I know how that is, I am the same. I have never been great with groups. I always feel restricted and I feel like I am being forced to do things. Also I seem to be talked over a lot and that only fuels my dislike. I'm so used to being on my own I don't handle it very well when I don't have control over what I am doing and stuff like that.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Wish I had people to get annoyed with at least they'd push me to continue on in **** rather than this ****ing inescapable rut I just dig further and further into.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
They are not friends, so no one is pushing me on to continue.
I think that's your answer right there. We make allowances for people we like and are less irritated in general if we truly care for them. -You don't like them (at least not yet) so it's just pure annoyance. -Oh,also you should speak up about things,like always meeting at noon. I can't imagine many instances when you wouldn't mention your opinion! You seem like one tough cookie!!:afr:yes

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that's your answer right there. We make allowances for people we like and are less irritated in general if we truly care for them. -You don't like them (at least not yet) so it's just pure annoyance. -Oh,also you should speak up about things,like always meeting at noon. I can't imagine many instances when you wouldn't mention your opinion! You seem like one tough cookie!!:afr:yes
Some I like, some I don't. Some I feel neutral about but don't find very interesting. Most I don't really know.

I was hoping to make friends out of this but so far no luck. I've only made acquaintances....the usual.

·
Banned
14 Posts
That sounds really annoying. I find it frustrating being in groups and not having control over stuff like that. You gotta consider whether the pros outweigh the cons.
I was in a group of people a while back. I was on a student trip and ended up alone with a few hours to kill, so when I found some people I went along with them. It was horrible..they wanted something to eat, walked for ages without deciding on anywhere, and ended up in a restaurant. In retrospect I should have thought being on my own or finding someone else to hang with would have been a whole lot better than how that day turned out.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I tend to get like that when I haven't been around people for a long time.

I would recommend sticking with it. You will probably adapt after a while.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the same problem,i think im so used to not hanging out with people,that I feel like im wasting time when im doing it I hate just hanging around people just talking,there has to be a set objective or I have to be doing something interesting,to want to hang out with people.i,ve gotten very impatient with people the older I get,like if I eat at the cafeteria I just want to get my food and start studying and one of the people I was hanging out with was taking to long to get there food,and I didn't feel like waiting for them to get to eat so I just left and sat down,then I regretted hanging out with them because they were boring,and I had to talk to them to not look bad,or risk looking antisocial.in my head im just thinking damnnit now I got to entertain this person,

i really would have preferred to read my kindle or listen to music while I ate,but I was trying to be less antisocial,because I do get lonely,but I simply didn't care at all what they were talking about and just wanted to tell them to leave,but I said to my self why don't you try being friendly and I was and it was unbearably painful.

I wasn't even socially anxious I just felt like the small talk was a waste of time,i know its important to do to bond with people,but im just to independent.i have my therapist telling me I should just not hang out with people then,but I don't know how I would make friends or what the point of it is,someone im interested in dating I have no trouble talking to or enjoying there company,i just don't get the point of having a bunch of friends and a social life,i really could care less how much I fit in with people or how cool I look to them.so I can relate to feeling your anti social, I don't know if its a bad thing or not but I,ve been trying to correct it.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same problem,i think im so used to not hanging out with people,that I feel like im wasting time when im doing it I hate just hanging around people just talking,there has to be a set objective or I have to be doing something interesting,to want to hang out with people.i,ve gotten very impatient with people the older I get,like if I eat at the cafeteria I just want to get my food and start studying and one of the people I was hanging out with was taking to long to get there food,and I didn't feel like waiting for them to get to eat so I just left and sat down,then I regretted hanging out with them because they were boring,and I had to talk to them to not look bad,or risk looking antisocial.in my head im just thinking damnnit now I got to entertain this person,

i really would have preferred to read my kindle or listen to music while I ate,but I was trying to be less antisocial,because I do get lonely,but I simply didn't care at all what they were talking about and just wanted to tell them to leave,but I said to my self why don't you try being friendly and I was and it was unbearably painful.

I wasn't even socially anxious I just felt like the small talk was a waste of time,i know its important to do to bond with people,but im just to independent.i have my therapist telling me I should just not hang out with people then,but I don't know how I would make friends or what the point of it is,someone im interested in dating I have no trouble talking to or enjoying there company,i just don't get the point of having a bunch of friends and a social life,i really could care less how much I fit in with people or how cool I look to them.so I can relate to feeling your anti social, I don't know if its a bad thing or not but I,ve been trying to correct it.
I know what you mean. I get bored with conversation easily.

What actually happened was that after the main event, we went to a restaurant and I ended up sitting with a few people that are hard to talk to. Two were the kind of people who only talk if you ask them a question. Then I looked at the menu and a proper meal would have been $25-30 with tip and tax. Not much in the way of vegetarian food and I didn't feel like eating fries or cheesecake either. So I just announced that I'm going home and left.

I probably would have stayed if it had been either cheaper or if I was seated with people that I wanted to talk to. I just didn't feel like blowing $25 for one meal if I'm not even going to get good convo out of it. Maybe if it had been Indian food I'd have stayed. I love Indian.

Regretted leaving later cause I found out they went out to a park after the meal and that would have been nice.

·
Lost in deep thought...
491 Posts
I'd rather work alone-get things done faster-every time I do group work with people-they treat me like i'm some kind of baby who can't do anything...seriously-pisses me off :( so I really don't try to communicate much with my partners

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know what you mean. I get bored with conversation easily.

What actually happened was that after the main event, we went to a restaurant and I ended up sitting with a few people that are hard to talk to. Two were the kind of people who only talk if you ask them a question. Then I looked at the menu and a proper meal would have been $25-30 with tip and tax. Not much in the way of vegetarian food and I didn't feel like eating fries or cheesecake either. So I just announced that I'm going home and left.

I probably would have stayed if it had been either cheaper or if I was seated with people that I wanted to talk to. I just didn't feel like blowing $25 for one meal if I'm not even going to get good convo out of it. Maybe if it had been Indian food I'd have stayed. I love Indian.

Regretted leaving later cause I found out they went out to a park after the meal and that would have been nice.
im also a vegetarian have the same type of problems,and im restricting my diet now and weight lifting so every single thing I eat is measured out,i cant eat food if I don't know what nutrients protein content sugar,calories etc is in it,and I feel like people always try to provoke a fight with me if they find out im a vegetarian,and say rude things and act standoffish,and when they see im muscular they call me a liar,and iv,e tried talking to loads of people but im guessing only 0.01 % of the population is like me,based on the hundreds of people I talked to there aren't many atheist vegatarians in America and there hard things to hide when people are trying to form friendships with you,plus im busy working going to school and studying 95% of the week.i might try moving to Manhattan once I get my job and start making decent pay im sure I could find more people like me there,that I could relate to,and theres all the museums there,broadway plays tv,studios vegan restaurants I think I could fit in better there,then wher ei currently live and it wouldn't be to far away from my family.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts