Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an extra ordinary minister at my church I have to attend a course about the history of the eucharist and the practicalities of administering the eucharist.

I felt really intimidated in this course, because to be honest the history part made me want to sleep. I am a good person and really like the idea of giving people communion.

All the other extra ordinary ministers were very knowledgeable about the history of the church and the eucharist and I just sat there pretending and nodding and faking it really.

I am just a humble woman who wants to help out, do I need to be a theologian to give communion?

I felt inferior once more, darn it! I have one more week to go. I am not nervous, just waiting to take flight:sus

I am blending in somehow. If it takes a turn for the worse, who knows, what will eventuate.

The fact that I am mute in this, makes me feel suspect in other peoples eyes.
Ugh!!!!!!!

jenky

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi there! the first thing i want to say is that you should not at all feel inferior. when i opened your thread i asked myself, "what on God's green earth is a eucharist?" also, why do you call yourself an "extra ordinary" minister?

there are a lot of things we don't know, but by asking questions we might recieve the right answers. it bothered me a bit to hear you say that you are "mute" in this whole process. do your teachers not allow you to ask questions? no person should be denied a voice when seeking spiritual knowledge. however, if that's the situation you are in, then perhaps you can approach the other ministers to ask for clarifications, or find other resources to teach yourself the history. even better is to ask God for guidance, patience, and courage.

in my opinion, i think this information would serve you quite well. it could help you to see where you fit in in this tradition, and when a communion-taker comes to you and asks "what is this eucharist and how does it help my faith grow?" you will have an answer ready.

so don't worry, it's okay that you find your lessons boring. just try not to let that divert you from learning what you need to learn.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for your insights.

When I call myself mute, it is because I have always had the belief that I am not good enough. Today I know I am good enough, but that schema belief is much deeper and harder to get rid of.

Eucharist is when we come together and share the body of Jesus as a rememberance of his death on the cross and our salvation as a result of Him doing so.

I have a fear of being ridiculed and its hard to change. So I dont put myself right out there only a little bit, when I think I may be safe.

There is opportunity to ask questions, but I have anxieties about this, and yes its irrational.

When we are called extra ministers this means we are extras for the ordinary (ordained)- we help the priest give the Holy bread. I am not extraordinary by a long shot.
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
good morning! oh, i understand now. i still struggle with this myself at times. that "old habits die hard" adage. it is a good thing that you have made it to the point where you can catch yourself, though. it's easy to forget that you are good enough when you've lead yourself to believe that you aren't for so long. God willing, this will become another stepping stone toward progress.

i know that it is hard to push past our comfort zone, but just keep trying a little each day. it makes me happy to hear that you are doing this. when we test the waters we can gauge how deep they really are, and usually they're naught more than waist high. even if that is too much we can always turn back to the shore until next time.

find comfort in that you and the other ministers are gathered there for a common purpose. this will help you to remember that you are all equals among yourselves and before the Lord.

i would like to thank you for answering my questions. you helped me learn something today. i hope that everything goes well for you in your studies. please continue to persevere and i promise you will find that you are extraordinary. may God bless you and your works.

·
Burnt-on cheese
1,005 Posts
I know this is from a while ago but I gotta tell you. Here's what I think. You don't need to have a doctorate or whatever in theology to do that. I know I'm not one to talk, I am a big backslidden sinnre, not even sure what I think about everything lately, but I really don't think you do. Please know you don't have to be intimidated by other's people knowledge, I bet they didn't even know you were feeling like that, and they probably wouldn't look down on you for not knowing everything they do (if they would, I think that's wrong).

You are doing this to serve God and the people in the church. I really think God is pleased about that and not requiring you to have vast historical knowledge. Look at Jesus's disciples and the people he ministered to. They were just regular people and sometimes short on intellectual understanding of things but that didn't stop him from teaching them and interacting with them.

My mother is a deacon and one thing she does is help with communion. She is just a regular person in the church. Sometimes they have to go to conferences and stuff and she seems to find some of them boring too, lol. I mean, knowing history and those things is wonderful but I don't think an in-depth knowledge of it is a gift that every single person must strive for.

Now if only I could take my own advice.

Also thanks for explaining "extra ordinary," I did think maybe you meant "extraordinary" hee he and I was confused.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts