Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I don't have a partner. I just want to understand for those who have I can't imagine a person like so not being there when I am suffering or at least just being compassionately accepting. Is this a fluke response? Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I'm just putting it out there.

· Registered
36 Posts
My wife and I both have mental health issues. We are both supportive of each other. We complement each other too. I can't remember anything (probably from anxiety) and she double-checks everything. She always makes sure I have my keys and wallet. I tend to be very easygoing and a good listener, so I also am a good support for her as well.

· Registered
90 Posts
My husband is supportive of me fortunately. I thought he was going to divorce me when I was hospitalized for a week for mental health reasons, but he was still supportive. I've been going to therapy throughout our relationship also and he doesn't seem to mind.

· Registered
18,273 Posts
My relationship with my (ex) wife is complicated - but I'm very grateful I have someone I can call at any time of day if I'm not feeling well. We've had our ups and downs but we will both always be there for one another - no matter what. That means a great deal to me.

· Registered
36 Posts
I was in a relationship where my partner was not always supportive. We both struggled with mental illness, and I guess he couldn't deal with my issues on top of his. I can't really imagine what it's like to be with someone who is always there for me like that. It would be nice, but I just try to be there for myself now.

· Registered
18,273 Posts
I was in a relationship where my partner was not always supportive. We both struggled with mental illness, and I guess he couldn't deal with my issues on top of his. I can't really imagine what it's like to be with someone who is always there for me like that. It would be nice, but I just try to be there for myself now.
I don't talk about the negative traits of my wife - but she has plenty, everyone does. And quite often I drive her crazy with my phone calls - I can't stop talking for example and have to tell her everything. (I have bipolar disorder) I did it again just an hour or so ago.

The picture I paint is most likely a bit rosier than the reality - although I can always call her, and she can call me. If she does (and she has in the past) - I would go running and nothing would get in my way.

· Registered
19 Posts
I've tried both. I have a chronic health condition and social anxiety, so a lot to carry around. I was in a 14-year relationship with a guy who couldn't deal with it. He didn't know how to handle the health thing, and he didn't really believe in social anxiety. My health condition didn't manifest itself until we were together, so it was a surprise for both of us and it didn't jive with his expectations for our life. Being in that relationship was really bad for me. I tried to live as if I didn't have physical and mental health problems. I felt so alone and broken. It led to depression and in the end, I left him.

After that, I feared I was doomed to be alone. But I was lucky enough to find a person who's super supportive and I'm now blessed with a healthy relationship. The difference between these two relationships is like night and day. One tore me down and the other build me up. So in my experience, the bad partner can make it a lot worse while a good partner can make it all a lot better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts