Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is a very extroverted person. Our personalities are like yin and yang. Somehow we make it work and actually have a loving relationship. With my SA, I'm the complete opposite of her and this leads to issues concerning social gatherings. Since I've been able to put a label and definition on my disorder she has been able to understand me more so than before and how I will react to social settings. I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has an extroverted partner and what their experiences have been like.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
My ex-husband was an extrovert, had tons of friends. When we first met, I would try to force myself to go to the parties he always went to, and to try and be a good hostess when he invited people to our house. I hated it! Especially having people in my house.....to me that's my sanctuary, and I really disliked having it invaded. I eventually quit going to the parties, or to bars, and ended up sitting home alone all the time. My ex wasn't very tolerant of my behaviour, and always made me feel like a party-pooper.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nope- he is better off than I am, but he is still pretty quiet. I do think though that my issues make it so that he has become the outgoing one in the 10 years we have been together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I know what you mean MaidMarian. I feel like my home is my sanctuary and I feel VERY threatened when we have guests over. Even if it's just an in-law it still feels threatening. In the back of my mind I'm always counting the hours until they will finally leave. It always feels like such a relief when they back out of the drive way in their car. I know it sounds rude and selfish to think that way, but I do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
He is pretty quiet. He would rather spend his days off at home then going out to a party or anything. He is more outgoing then I am.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My boyfriend is extremely outgoing and always wants to go out. We haven't had too many problems with it. i don't mind going out it's just the actually talking to people i don't like. Before I opened up to him he'd get annoyed with me when we were on the phone about how I didn't contribute enough to our conversations. We've been going out for over a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife is a very extroverted person. Our personalities are like yin and yang. Somehow we make it work and actually have a loving relationship. With my SA, I'm the complete opposite of her and this leads to issues concerning social gatherings. Since I've been able to put a label and definition on my disorder she has been able to understand me more so than before and how I will react to social settings. I'm curious to know if anyone else out there has an extroverted partner and what their experiences have been like.
Yes, this sounds almost identical to my situation with my wife. I wife bartends and sometimes she'll ask me to stop by and visit her while she's at work. I'll do it just because she asked, but man when I walk into that bar, all eyes are on me, well at least I feel like they are and I can't wait to get out of there. I have to have a few drinks in me before I can open up a little in social situations that involve my wife and her friends. I use to make my wife uncomfortable when her friends came around because I would just close up I didn't know how to respond to the loudness of her friends, but now that we can label what's wrong with me she doesn't feel uncomfortable anymore or not as much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I met my wife 11 years ago she was extroverted. Now after being married for 9 years she is leaning more on the introverted side.

·
Improving
987 Posts
My wife is a very extroverted person. Our personalities are like yin and yang. Somehow we make it work and actually have a loving relationship.
My ex-wife and I were exactly like this. She talked to strangers, made new friends and carried the conversations until I was comfortable enough with the people to talk with them myself. I was happy but apparently she wasn't.

She divorced me and I found myself alone with even less ability to meet new people than before my marriage. I had lost what little skills I had since I hadn't had to talk to new people for such a long time.

I was alone and lonely for many years since then and am only now struggling to resolve my SA. I am making progress though but wish I had resolved it a long time ago.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I wouldnt call my partner an extrovert but he has no fear when he does open his mouth to talk. He has plenty of friends too. Ive only just noticed in the almost 5 years of being with him, he can be too honest at times. If I asked him the classic question 'does my butt look fat in this?' he'll surely say 'yes'. He even went to the point of picking out the things he doesnt like about a birthday pressie (that my family member gave him). But 'overall' he liked it. hahaha. :roll

·
Registered
928 Posts
My ex-husband was an extrovert, had tons of friends. When we first met, I would try to force myself to go to the parties he always went to, and to try and be a good hostess when he invited people to our house. I hated it! Especially having people in my house.....to me that's my sanctuary, and I really disliked having it invaded. I eventually quit going to the parties, or to bars, and ended up sitting home alone all the time. My ex wasn't very tolerant of my behaviour, and always made me feel like a party-pooper.
I cant stand it when visitors invade my privacy. I always hide in the bedroom when my partner has friends over. He knows it too and tells me before he brings people in. LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts