Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure if I asked my pdoc about testing to see if I'm a fast metabolizer of Xanax he'd have no clue what to do as this is simply never tested. Here's how things normally work. Doc writes benzo script. Patient takes benzo and it works. Nothing to investigate. Hardly anyone presents a case like me where 10mg doesn't get the job done such that you have a mystery worthy of investigation. The first investigation he'd have to do is how to test me for fast metabolism of benzos. I must admit that I do like the idea of being tested. If it turns out that I'm a fast metabolizer of Xanax it could really work out in my favor.

With my former pdoc this was merely a theory, but if we had test results in black & white showing I'm a fast metabolizer my pdoc would actually have to do something about it. He'd have to get off his a** and treat me! Being a proven fast matabolizer would support my request for an alternative tranquilizer: meprobamate or phenobarbital. I assume they're metabolized differently than Xanax, though I don't know. Or he'd have to prescribe a truly staggering amount of Xanax. Either way I win. Now that I have insurance it would end up covering 80% of the lab work.

Of course, what if I'm not a fast metabolizer? Are there any other possibilities to explain why I get only minimal benefit from benzos?:stu

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Years ago when I took benzos my dosage would have to be really high to get a result.
They are overrated junk...

Adderell helped your anxiety yeh ? Taking downers seems counter productive

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CD700 said:
Years ago when I took benzos my dosage would have to be really high to get a result.
They are overrated junk…
Which benzo and how many mgs?

We both agree that benzos are overrated junk. Could it be that you too are a fast metabolizer?

CD700 said:
Adderell helped your anxiety yeh ? Taking downers seems counter productive
What's counterproductive about CNS depressants? I drink wine most days. It's a relaxing CNS depressant which I enjoy the effect of. It's also a CNS depressant to which I respond in a typical manner.

Adderall used to help. Doesn't really do anything now. Also can't be mixed with Parnate. That's both in theory & in practice. It doesn't cause a hypertensive crisis, though it raises BP higher than one would prefer to see.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
Some people just seem to have an unbelievable tolerance to benzos. I'm one of them and I've met a few others. I've wondered about it before myself and I figured it was something genetic. I haven't taken them in years, but I had to take very large doses to feel the effects, too.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I just need a higher dose to get benzos to work. The question is could I actually get some truly staggering dosage if I had test results proving that I'm a fast metabolizer unlike normal humans?

I don't know if you've heard my tale of Ambien that all hinges on dose. I used to think Ambien was a totally useless pill. I based that on 1 or 2 or 4 or 6 and probably even more didn't do a damn thing. I didn't think Ambien would do anything at any dose. Turns out I was wrong. One night I took the remaining contents of a bottle -- 23 pills -- and I got the best sleep and awoke 8 hours later feeling fully awake & well rested. Much to my surprise, Ambien worked & it worked really well. It just took 20+ pills for me to get the same effect normal folks get from a single pill.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
Have you tried Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam)? I took some once years ago and they seemed way more potent than the other benzos. You can't get them in the US though.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm confused, if you don't find that Xanax doesn't do much of anything, why take the 4mg?
Do you think a starving man would eat crumbs off the floor? Probably, because it's better than nothing.

Same reason I take 4mg of Xanax: it's better than nothing. And I recently upped my daily dose to 5mg to work off the huge stockpile I have.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some people just seem to have an unbelievable tolerance to benzos. I'm one of them and I've met a few others. I've wondered about it before myself and I figured it was something genetic. I haven't taken them in years, but I had to take very large doses to feel the effects, too.
So what do you take for anxiety since benzos don't work?

I'll have to ask you to define "very large dose" in terms of mgs since the concept of large varies greatly.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam)? I took some once years ago and they seemed way more potent than the other benzos. You can't get them in the US though.
No, I've never tried it because, as you note, you can't get them in the US.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Third person is en vogue these days :b

Ultrashy have you ever tried tapering off and doing a med holiday + reboot?

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
So what do you take for anxiety since benzos don't work?

I'll have to ask you to define "very large dose" in terms of mgs since the concept of large varies greatly.
For a variety of reasons I've stopped taking any medications for years now. I'm hoping to eventually learn to cope with the anxiety on my own and be able to function on some level, but for now I just spend most of my time at home alone.

When I was taking Xanax I would usually need at least 6-10mg to actually feel the effects. Until 2009 I had a 4mg/day prescription and I'd take a smaller daily dose and when I had something I had to do I'd take a much larger dose. If I was able to get extra through other means I did that, too. There were periods of time when I was taking much larger doses than that on a daily basis and I'm not going to get into the details of it, but the point of my earlier post was that I met other people that were the same way. I always thought it was a genetic abnormality that caused some people to have a massive tolerance to benzos. There is something to it because I've seen people that were on them for years and 2-3mg knocks them out cold, but then there are people like me, those others I mentioned and you that can ingest huge amounts. It's not as simple as tolerance because I've went years without taking them in the past and went back and still was the same way.

Like I said, I don't take them anymore. I actually have lots of horror stories involving benzos. I'm not against anyone else taking them, I'm all for people doing whatever works, it's just not for me and I can accept that. It's caused me too much pain.

No, I've never tried it because, as you note, you can't get them in the US.
I tried them once when I was in Mexico, just out of curiosity. They seemed pretty potent. Do you feel benzos at any dose? You say they don't work at all for you. They worked for me, it was just that I had to take so many.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2. How many threads are necessary regarding your fast metabolism of benzos?
I'm fairly confident this is the first thread of 30,000 I ever posted devoted to the possibility that I'm a fast metabolizer. I didn't think one would be deemed excessive, but you can't please everyone as I should well know.

Did you read the final line of my post which I highlighted? I'd really wish somebody would respond to it. Is there some other possibility to explain my minimal response to benzos or does it have to be that I'm a fast metabolizer?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ultrashy have you ever tried tapering off and doing a med holiday + reboot?
Last fall I got my Klonopin dose really low. Like 1mg on most days. Well, that's really low by my standards. Then I gave up and just went back to normal usage.

·
bipolar
17,190 Posts
Karl please - move on already. Forget about the Xanax - take a packet one day and start CBT or something - please, for all of our sake's.

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
You really had to jump on the "refer-to-myself-in-third-person" bandwagon?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts