Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
PRISMATIC
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm Not really afraid of talking to people exactly. What I am afraid of is hanging out with people. When I feel like people are trying to get close to me that is when I tend to freeze up. I'm fine at the beginning, but when people ask me to hang out I get really nervous and uncomfortable. I am fine talking to most people most of the time. I am not great with introductions, but when I get a conversation started I can usually keep it up. I am not shy at all really, I'm not afraid to talk to most people. It's just when I feel like they are trying to get physically close to me then I freeze up. Usually if people keep their distance I am fine most of the time.

Doing stuff with people makes me nervous because I am afraid I might get in the way or slow people down. This is understandable because I have a lot of vision problems and also have some trouble learning sometimes and understanding some things and concepts sometimes. It's pretty hard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you have trouble with intimacy or letting people get to know you? Do you think people won't like you if you "slow them down" on occasion, even if you'd consider them a friend?

It sounds like you are over the hump--you're not afraid to talk to people anymore. This is great!!!! Yay! It also sounds like you're still dealing with other effects of SA, though, which include being avoidant for fear of rejection. Or, maybe some of it you could attribute to your preferences about personal space. If you don't see that as a problem, that's fine. But if you see this potential SA as getting in the way of your having fulfilling personal relationships, then I would recommend talking to someone about it. A counselor or a good friend who will let you know how wonderful you are. :)

·
PRISMATIC
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, most of my trouble happens with guys really. The idea of sharing your whole life your secrets, your heart with someone just terrifies me. I'm so afraid I will make the person unhappy. I kind of find guys hard to talk to as well. I don't get nervous, I just don't know what to say and this makes me feel stupid and in turn makes me feel nervous in a different way. The kind of closeness that happens in relationships with the opposite sex is very hard for me to achieve. I feel affection inside very strongly and I want to express that emotion, those feelings, but it's harder when you try to do it outwardly.

I am pretty good at talking to most people, a lot of the time I don't feel like talkin to people though. This is sometimes a problem. I have been working on being more friendly, it's kind of hard to give peole my space though after being alone after 4 or so years. After my best friend abandoned me 4 years ago I have trouble getting close to people.

*sigh* I could go on and on about this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.