Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'll try to make this as short as possible, but I'm kind of in a panic.

I'm 20 and don't really have a history with anxiety except when I started high school - my doctor put me on Zoloft but as I got older and made more friends I decided I didn't need medication anymore. Mostly I just think I had a problem with confidence, not actual anxiety.

Now here's what happened recently:

I live in New York City, and obviously there are millions of people here. Never really bothered me until a few months ago. I was out to dinner with my boyfriend talking about our failing relationship (probably cause #1), I went outside to smoke and suddenly started feeling very sick. I barely made it to a bathroom (BARELY) and by the time I had finished doing what I had to do, I was too scared to move. I sat in that bathroom for about two hours and couldn't even think about taking a train home. I got a cab and ever since then, I can't leave the apartment without having any number of small panic attacks.

When I'm on the train, I just think about how far away from home/security I'm getting. I know it's all in my head but it's honestly ruining my life. I'm so scared of other people judging me and I'm getting very envious of everyone else. I don't have health insurance for about another month, so I really have no idea what to do. I'm at my wit's end.

Any help would be so appreciated. I don't even know what's wrong with me!

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you were a confidant and normal person before, than you just changed for no mental reason, like being bullied or something like that, i would assume that maybe its something chemical. Its a good idea to go to the doctor and see what maybe wrong. it could be any number of reason, it may even be serious(hopefully not), but if its like i described above then it really would be good to go to the doctor. i don't know if this helped, but i never heard of anyone getting SA the way you described before.

edit: it could also be some other mental anxiety disorder, i think actually a lot of people here will relate to being afraid of bathroom or going to one in public, it sounds like you developed a fear of not having one when you need it. I simply won't use public bathrooms all together, i think my system has come to expect that and doesn't bother me until i get home, i also avoid drinking and eating to much when i'm out.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
To me it seems like it's not entirely "social anxiety disorder", but some social anxiety is involved....it seems like more of a fear of getting sick in public and leaving a safe place (kind of like agoraphobia)...just guessing.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
If you feel that other people are judging you and your having panic attacks while being out in public not only from leaving the comfort of your apartment but also because your standing in a box full of people on a moving train then I'd say your heading towards a severe SA condition. Now if your afraid to approach people, afraid to talk to people and avoid communication with all people at all cost plus are suffering from all of the above then your are officially diagnosed with Social Anxiety by an unofficial doctor. I am a doctor of crap but this is only my opinion really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts