Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that often times I frequent this site in avoidance of the social experiences that will help me in the long run.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
no, but then again I never came here with the intention of finding help. I signed up because there are a lot of people here going through the same things I am. It makes it easy to relate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It helps me in the sense that I know there's other people that feel the same way I do. lol It's also most of the social interaction that I get.

·
Explode or Implode
83 Posts
It depends on the topic I'm focusing on in the forum. If I'm reading mostly about people's frustrations I can start to feel down myself, just my form of empathy. But if I'm reading up more on peoples' successes with SA I find myself more optimistic.
I'll usually read about peoples' frustrations because I feel like I may be able to help. Many of us SAers have unrealistic, destructive thoughts and the important thing about this forum is that we can all realize when each of us is slipping into destructive thinking and we can help each other climb out of it.
We are our own worst enemies but are each others best friends.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hm, both. Not posted much, but I like knowing that there's somewhere that will understand the things that seem trivial to everyone else, like being able to order my own food in a restaurant seeming like a big success, or the frustration of not being able to email someone. It's nice to have someone that sees how big these things are to someone with SA. And other people coming out of worse situations than me gives me hope.

On the other hand, it's too easy to get caught up with other peoples worries. If someone else brings up something that I've never worried about before it starts to niggle away at me and I wonder if I should be worrying about it. Or if someone displays a trait that I find unfavourable in myself - like the crushing pessimism or the 'nothing can possibly help me leave me to wallow in pity' attitude that I get on my worst days that a lot of people here seem to share - then it grates on me and makes me both unfairly dislike the person and get more annoyed with myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm with future on this one, I know it wont help but I like to meet people and make friends that understand my current issue.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Yes, it fulfils the functions that real life friends fulfil for other people - I can rant, grumble, and ask for advice. I definitely wouldn't be happier without it, and I don't think I'd be more social without it. In fact, it's helped me be more social - it was through this site that I discovered meetup.com.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For me, it's nice to know that I am not alone with my social handicap and that there's a place on the Internet where I could say something and the response wouldn't be "STFU UR A LOSER."

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't expect this forum to help me overcome SA. I don't think you can really expect to solve any problem you have online. Like others I find it comforting to find many people around the world with very similar problems to me. For me it's also a way to understand myself because until recently I didn't admit to myself I had SA. It helps me to interpret situations in my day to day life and adjust my expectations of them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes and no I suppose.

Yes, because it helps to know people are going through similar things.

No, because although I get to vent and complain about my problems here, it's up to me to change things and to push myself out of my comfort zone to turn things around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I feel so relieved and it is so comforting to actually communicate with people who suffer from the same fears and feel the exact same way I do and have the same thoughts and views as I do.
People who actually UNDERSTAND and can relate to me.
It is such a relief I feel accepted on this website.
I feel this website is a gift.
I don't feel threatened or judged as a loner, weak, a loser, a geek, a weirdo.
I don't feel weird or not "normal" because I can't function like "normal" people.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
This site neither helps me nor hurts me, but this is the first forum I've ever seen where I've heard of people who are like me.

·
Registered
784 Posts
When I started posting about a year ago, this was a good place for me to vent. Nothing much has changed in my life since then and I've gotten tired of seeing the same things rehashed on the forum over and over.

A couple good things about this forum is that it led me to find a meetup.com group and there were one or two times I think I actually helped someone by giving them advice.

Besides that, the forum doesn't help me much, it's just a distraction. I don't feel like I relate or have a connection to any of the members here -- no offense to anyone. I could try harder to help other members, but why should I when I'm still socially worthless in my own life?

I think I need a more philosophical approach to my problem. I restarted an old blog of mine to write about my life, but friends could read it so I have to censor quite a bit. I've started a meetup.com group in my local area but it's been very difficult to get members and I haven't had an actual meetup yet. It's frustrating to live in a town where no one shares common interests.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would say mostly yes because when I am feeling really lonely or down I can read some positive things people say and it makes me feel better. It's just great to know there's people out there who face the same issues as you. The only part that I don't like about this site is that it kinda depresses me and makes me think of things I don't want to with questions like "do you hate yourself". It sometimes becomes a bit too negative.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts