Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone invites me to something where they will have a large number of their friends and I don't really want to go, is it rude to say, "okay, I might do that", and then not do it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
If someone invites me to something where they will have a large number of their friends and I don't really want to go, is it rude to say, "okay, I might do that", and then not do it?
Nope. You said "might" which encompasses "won't". Not rude in the slightest.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think it's better to give them a definite answer. If you've told them that and don't plan on attending then at least send them an sms or a call to let them know.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Could say, "I might if I feel up it".

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
While I don't think it's rude in the slightest, because it makes clear that you might do it, but you also might not, it's best, in my opinion, to just say something like 'If I feel up to it, sure, but if not, I'll pass this time.'

·
Registered
67 Posts
No, because "might" gives the possibility of a yes or no outcome.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
It wasn't rude, but if you don't have intentions of going, it would be better to give it a more negative slant. I mean:

"ok, I might do that" - leans towards yes.

"I'm not sure about that, we'll see." - leans towards no.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just tell them you're a maybe and pretend you're doing something else.

Maybe you should try going anyway and use it as an opportunetly to tackle your SA!?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think it's only rude if they are doing something which requires your friend to know a specific number of people that will attend beforehand if he's doing something like a dinner outing for example.

·
Registered
290 Posts
why not say the truth, you might go but if you don't know the people you will feel a little uncomfortable. but if i were you I would just go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Always leave yourself an 'out'.

I often agree to things on an 'up' day, and then stress about it as the day approaches and wish I hadn't.

Leave yourself the option either way as you never know how you are going to feel on the day.

Try to go to some stuff, otherwise people will stop inviting you altogether.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts