Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 22 years old and I'm at a point in my life where things are starting to become clearer to me. I'm beginning to see things for what they are now more than ever and its to the point where I know where I want to be and realize the mindset I need to adopt to make it there. I have always succumbed to what others have wanted out of me and it always involves me playing the part of the doormat and being disrespected in the end. In the beginning I was intimidated by the popular ones, but now its too the point where I see them as being childish and immature as its like high school without the supervision it seems. I honest to god have no interest in partying this year. I'm all for a few drinks and everything but not the phony foolishness that goes into the party life. They tend to believe that those who don't go to parties are people that don't drink and I wanted to challenge this because I didn't want to be seen as a non drinker, until I realized how stupid that way of thinking truly is. What's wrong with not drinking? Nothing is the answer. So what did I care whether they would think that of me? Honestly I don't know. Its almost like I figured I had to prove myself to some first year students not taking university seriously, while people I graduated with were starting families and starting careers. Truth was, I still haven'y proven myself to myself, and that is what matters now. My mindset has been that of a child and its time I take charge of things. This year, no partying as I don't want any distractions seeing as how I have one more year of university to go. Besides that I'm going to work this school year and not rely on my parents to support, and if this ends with me being alienated my response to that is who gives a ****. I'm going to earn money to buy a car as I've had my license for three years and haven't driven since the day I got it, I want to meet a girl to settle down with (and I'm not talking about a pick up at some club), I want to get my own place. Am I crazy or am I really growing up faster than others. I'm seriously asking you this because I feel like I'm having a revelation here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in a similar place. I'm 21 and I stopped drinking, for the most part, a couple years ago.

I notice a lot of people into the party life style are people who were in a hurry to be adults. They move out the minute they turn 18, get *** loads of debt and "get ****ed up" every night just because they can. It can seem alluring for a while, but if you really look at it in terms of longevity... they are selling themselves short. In time, they'll come to the same conclusion you've written about but since you've already realized this you'll be ahead of them. For them, it may already be too late.

I truly believe that the turtle beats the hare in life.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There's this 28 year old guy I know who drinks a lot and probably gets quite a few girls. I've been out with him drinking and its kind of depressing. He doesn't have much of a life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts