Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a very long time (I am 18), I have had a more-than -healthy fear of "evil". I can't watch horror movies because the images stay in my mind and freak me out for years afterwards. I hate to be alone because i am (sometimes) filled with intense fear that something "evil" will "get" me. I know this is irrational, but it doesn't change the fact that it still happens.

As an example, there have been times I have avoided going into a room because I am scared something will be in there.

I'm not scared of "real" things, like robbers etc. being in my house, but of the ghosts and ghouls of horror movies.

Yesterday I was at my friend's house and got very freaked out when I was in her bathroom. I kept imagining something coming out of the vent.

i don't actually physically see it, I would not be ****ing even functioning if I saw the things I imagine. But it is very easy to imagine freaky things, and it comes without prompting. And it actually makes me scared. i will move quickly through a room.

My grandmother suffers from psychosis, so I know it's in my family. Is it possible this is early/mild stages of something like this? Or is it just an overactive imagination? Sometimes I feel panic akin to bad SA.

Also, will meds for anxiety eliminate psychosis at all? I'm hoping to get on meds soon, probably end up being given SSRI's.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It doesn't sound to me like psychosis. In psychosis, the cognitive functions of the brain begin to deteriorate, to the point where thoughts become disconnected and illogical.

What you are describing is very distressing but your sense of reality and reason is still intact. It sounds to me like you are in a chronic state of fear, but you are aware that the fear is irrational. I would imagine that any medication for anxiety would help. A doctor will most likely start with you an SSRI (because that is what they do). If that doesn't work, I'm sure a benzo would provide relief, especially if you are having panic attacks.

·
Banned
115 Posts
To me, it doesnt sound like psychosis. From what you wrote, it doesnt seem like you are paranoid and this is a key feature of psychosis.

It seems like your fear of "evil" is more related to anxious thinking rather then psychotic thinking.

For me, I would guess that your fear of evil is related to a religious upbringing. I had a similar fear until my early teens and ive been religious my whole life.

Anti-psychotics are used to treat psychosis and they are sometimes used for anxiety. I was prescribed Seroquel and it didnt help my anxiety at all. Docs usually prescribe anti psychotics for anxiety when they are afraid to try benzos.

I am on the SSRI Celexa right now and it does help stop anxious thinking. I have OCPD and Celexa makes my obsessive anxious thoughts easier to eliminate. I have thoughts that just go on in loops for hours and this seems similar to what you describe as the evil things in your imagination.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts