Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 5th day taking a low dosage of Celexa (10mg). I apparently have dysthymic disorder in addition to SA. Anyhow, I could barely get out of bed today due to a crushing bout of unusually severe depression, and anxiety through the roof. All I have to show for going on Celexa is a whole host of brand-new self-inflicted cuts. Should this get better once I adjust to the meds? When does the "anti" part of "antidepressant" kick in? I'm supposed to double my dosage to 20mg tomorrow, but I'm thinking maybe that's a bad idea.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I felt exactly the same way. The anxiety and depn was severe and my mum had to call the psych because she was worried as hell. This is back in 2002 i think.

Keep at it, they take a month to kick in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. I really hope this gets better soon, because I kind of need to go to class lol.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I'm on my 5th day taking a low dosage of Celexa (10mg). I apparently have dysthymic disorder in addition to SA. Anyhow, I could barely get out of bed today due to a crushing bout of unusually severe depression, and anxiety through the roof. All I have to show for going on Celexa is a whole host of brand-new self-inflicted cuts. Should this get better once I adjust to the meds? When does the "anti" part of "antidepressant" kick in? I'm supposed to double my dosage to 20mg tomorrow, but I'm thinking maybe that's a bad idea.
You can't just suddenly get dysthymia. It's a chronic condition (meaning it effects you for a very long time).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't just suddenly get dysthymia. It's a chronic condition (meaning it effects you for a very long time).
Yes...I am fully aware. I've had it for three and a half years. I thought it was just long-lasting depression, but my psych told me it was called dysthymic disorder. By "apparently I have dysthymia" I didn't mean, "hey, I woke up this morning with dysthymia," I meant, "oh, that's the name for this thing I have."

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I've been taking Celexa for 27 days, going from 10mg to 20mg on day 16. I was hit with two days of severe, crushing, suicidal depression on days 22 and 23. I've noticed it making me slightly less anxious.

·
Registered
324 Posts
1. Five days is not long enough to know if Celexa is going to help you. It will take more like four weeks.

2. All SSRIs have been found to increase depression in some patients, especially adolescents. In addition, my own experience and the experience of many forum participants is that Celexa tends to increase anxiety as an early side effect.

3. Conversely, many of us find that Celexa actually decreases anxiety once we adjust to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same thing happened w/ me. I didn't feel like doing anything, and it made me think about really ****ed up stuff, and it was really scary. But like everyone else is saying it takes about a couple weeks for the depression to stop, the first week is the worst, and then about a month for it to start working. It helped me a lot, I started feeling less nervous around people, I stopped shaking and my voice stopped trembling, it mostly just takes away all the symptoms. Then eventually my confidence started to get better. I'm not taking it now because I don't have insurance, but I'm definitely getting back on it when I start college.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wow that majorly blows. Celexa, like other SSRIs, will agonize the 5-HT2C receptor causing social anxiety, anxiety, and depression, and this downregulates with time. Once the 5-HT1A antagonism kicks in, you should feel less anxious.

I found that I got jittery, more anxious with Celexa and Lexapro during the first few weeks. Remeron all but killed that. Remeron works as a 5-HT2C antagonist, and perhaps that's what's causing your symptoms. Ever think about going on Remeron?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts