Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
How do you feel, is your SA well and truly kicked? Nardil seems to be the gold standard for treating SA and from what I've read its totally life transforming for some of those lucky enough to get on it.

Paxil was the first ever med I was put on by my doctor and it was bloody awful. I've never had any drug so bad in my entire life. That said, it was much hyped and marketed at the time (back in 90s) as the cure for "social phobia" as it was called back then, so I had high hopes for it. I continued it for as long as I could until the side effects got too much for me, which was about at the 2-3 weeks mark.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you feel, is your SA well and truly kicked? Nardil seems to be the gold standard for treating SA and from what I've read its totally life transforming for some of those lucky enough to get on it.

Paxil was the first ever med I was put on by my doctor and it was bloody awful. I've never had any drug so bad in my entire life. That said, it was much hyped and marketed at the time (back in 90s) as the cure for "social phobia" as it was called back then, so I had high hopes for it. I continued it for as long as I could until the side effects got too much for me, which was about at the 2-3 weeks mark.
Its not terrible but I find that I can't click in crowds because of my anxiety to express myself. I have failed all ssris, zoloft was the closest to curing my SA but it made me shake and feel like my head was shaking around people. But I wasn't afraid to talk to people. I think xanax and zoloft is a total cure for me but its only a temp cure IMO

·
Registered
501 Posts
Its not terrible but I find that I can't click in crowds because of my anxiety to express myself. I have failed all ssris, zoloft was the closest to curing my SA but it made me shake and feel like my head was shaking around people. But I wasn't afraid to talk to people. I think xanax and zoloft is a total cure for me but its only a temp cure IMO
I have never tried Zoloft but my experience with xanax is exactly the same as yours. It's practically a total cure for me. It doesn't make me super confident or pro-social of course, but it removes all the physical anxiety and much of the mental fear/negative inner voice too, so that I can perform normally and be myself easier around people. It's just so damn frustrating though, that the one thing we find which helps, happens to be so addictive and have so many probs with tolerance, dependency and risk of rebound-anxiety eh. Means it's impossible to rely on day to day.

·
Registered
301 Posts

2-3wks is a very short time for those kinda drugs, i know the side effects can be very overwhelming at first, if you ever try again, ask your doctor to start you at half the starting dose and titrate up very slowly over a long period this eases side effects considerably.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts