Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Comrade
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I posted a question on Craigslist, something about police misconduct in my area. Two days later, I get a message from some lunatic posing as a cop...

"To the "anonymous" no-balls poster. You are on a witch hunt and should be dealt with like the piece of scum that you are.

Please be advised that although you're "anonymous" to others on Craigslist, you're IP Address and other information regarding you personally is easily attainable by any member of Law Enforcement from Craiglist. It's the law!

If I were you I'd delete my post and call it a day moron. This is in or around Westchester."

Maybe it wasn't the wisest thing to do, but I told him to go screw himself ... If this guy IS a cop, can he really get that kind of information from an IP?

:um

·
Registered
191 Posts
He'd have to get it from the webmaster, and I don't think the webmaster would have to give it to him unless he had a search warrant, which would be difficult to obtain for posting what you did. The only way he could get it himself is illegally.

Free speech though. It's not like he can arrest you for saying something nasty about the police online. I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are it's just someone trolling and trying to get a rise out of you.

·
(.*?)
6,749 Posts
Did he provide his detailed identification so you could contact his superiors? If he's really a cop I'd think they'd be interested in knowing his habits, even if they can't do much. Ask him to stop being anonymous.

Hermit the Frog said:
The only way he could get it himself is illegally.
Even illegally, the only way is to intimidate both the webmaster and the internet service provider (who would have to determine who used that IP) into handing over the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes he can get the IP address from the webmaster, unfortunately that amounts to very little.

The IP address is worthless because only your internet service provider knows who the IP addresses belong to. Unless your ISP has a very flexible privacy policy, any and all information regarding your identity will require a subpoena, which would involve a district attorney and/or a judge, not a police officer.

The most they can get with an IP is a hostmask, which will generally display your ISP and the general region you are in. (For example, mine says Covad and is in LA.)

Summary: I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
It depends on what you said. If you threatened the president, yep he'll find you. If all you did was tell him to screw himself, hes BS. Although i'm not familar with craigslist, it may be possible to get your IP without going the webmaster route by illegal means but even so theres only limited options to go from there. Basically the only actions he could take would be illegal for example looking for an open port on your computer, DDOS, or checking to see if you have a backdoor enabled already. I really wouldn't sweat it as long as you didn't do anything illegal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like the hollow threat of some braindead jerk who wants to intimidate you.

"You are on a witch hunt and should be dealt with like the piece of scum that you are. "

That's not exactly police business, in fact it may add to whatever you wanted to know about police misconduct in the area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts