Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this guy on facebook that I have never actually met in person. I was supposed to go to a protest he was organizing but I think I slept in too long lol. Anyways, I noticed that he posted a link on facebook about a party he was going to. I was thinking about asking him if I could go along. We seem to have similar interests and he probably is a good person if he does things like protesting. I just would like to meet new people and have things to do. But it could be dangerous since I don't know him that well and it involves alcohol. The fact that he posted a link about it probably means he wants other people to go with him, right? Should I invite myself along?

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
ppl can play the good person online, id say be careful if you go. if you go, id also bring someone else along. Is this party at a resident or at public open place?

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I wouldn't advise it, myself. There are better and safer ways to meet people than an alcohol-filled fraternity party with people you don't truly know.

If you absolutely must go, do as TorLin suggested and bring someone along (someone you can count on to be there for you, and who won't ditch you for other people).

·
Banned
397 Posts
Nope, don't go.

You know you can't trust people out here.

Always think the worst about people until they give you a reason to think otherwise.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Make sure you have a firm escape plan and someone close to you. Anything can happen. Especially for young women. Sorry I sound like a mother lol. But I say this from experience. People arent always what they seem. Your own safety always comes first. But that doesnt mean you should lock yourself away form the world. Just be cautious, and know how to escape a bad situation if it comes up.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Don't do it. It just sounds fishy. You never know what he's up to. You have absolutely no idea who he is if I'm reading this right. Very, very dangerous!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Don't go anywhere with him until you get to know him better - or if it is in a safe publice place in the daytime.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
While I would certainly suggest using common sense, I have noticed that there is a very distorted image of the kind of people you meet online. The image being that they're dangerous nut jobs. Of course, if that's the case then you may just as likely be a dangerous nut job too as you were online when you found them.

Given that basically everyone (other than the exceptionally old & exceptionally poor) is online, the people you find will be a cross-section of society, no different than who you'd meet at your local grocery store.

It always drives me nuts when something like a killer finds his victim online. The media will make a HUGE story out of the fact that it was online. Keep in mind that Ted Bundy met and killed all his victims a couple decades before everyone was online.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well it was an open invitation on a social networking site and he didn't specifically invite you individually. I'd be more cautious if he was the type that had been speaking to you for sometime and constantly pressuring you to meet him.

As UltraShy said, not everyone is a stalker/sex offender/butcher luring innocent victims online. Since it is a frat type party you should probably be more concerned about the other people that might be there and drink spiking. Tell someone where you're going and what time you expect to be home. Bring a reliable friend and keep an eye on your drink! Stay in the public/crowded areas too. Have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts