Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying 3 ssri's and having horrible side effects and suicidel thoughts on them my doc.p put me on lyrica, after one hour of taking my first 25 mg tablet I had a metalic taste in my mouth, that was bearable but then my lips started to tingle and also my hearing in one ear seemed like everyone was far away like I was nearly going deaf in one ear, so I got very scared, googoed it as its not a listed side effect and came across lots of long term lyrica users who have gone deaf in one ear and need hearing aids.

Was I right to stop taking it after one day of use? Should I try it again tomorrow? I've my doctor on Tuesday n I'm scared to tell her another option has failed. Family member gave me a benzo and it worked, I know my doc won't priscribe valium but if I brought up klonopin n said it worked that time , would I seem like a drug seeker?? I would prefair something I can take as needed..
I have GAD and maybe bipolar 2 I'm awaiting a psych visit for proper diagnosis.
Thanks!!

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Family member gave me a benzo and it worked, I know my doc won't priscribe valium but if I brought up klonopin n said it worked that time , would I seem like a drug seeker?? I would prefair something I can take as needed..
If you know something that works it's perfectly reasonable to ask your doctor for it. Worst they can do is say no. Why screw around with other meds when you already know what works? If your doctor won't give you a benzo for as-needed use then what you need is a different doctor.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you know something that works it's perfectly reasonable to ask your doctor for it. Worst they can do is say no. Why screw around with other meds when you already know what works? If your doctor won't give you a benzo for as-needed use then what you need is a different doctor.
Thanks again, , I literally will have to scrape up the last of my energy to "doctor shop" and my fear is that if I go to a few local ones that say NO I will be over the verge of a breakdown. The one I told u about who is a 20min walk to bus stop then 1 hour+ on the bus then a 25 min walk, said to a patient that he is no longer taking people on.... But I am going to try in 2wks when my this person is due to go and collect his script and see if he will take me on, but he is a word of mouth doctor and everyone who is on him for benzo was got on him by another person etc and I think finally he has had enough....but the sick part is the two people I know who go to him have no anxiety or panic or anything, one is just a sociopath who likes recreational drugs n gets them off 3 doctors... (Two are even further away, n as I said I've no car, n I've a kid and job) :-(
Wits end!!!
Starting to lash out at hone and my temper is boiling over everything!

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
So you have now tried 3t SSRI's and none have worked? Never take one again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times... I am obviously lacking a great deal of my brain and I should listen to this post.

Finding a good doctor is exhausting but it beats what you are doing now.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
After trying 3 ssri's and having horrible side effects and suicidel thoughts on them my doc.p put me on lyrica, after one hour of taking my first 25 mg tablet I had a metalic taste in my mouth, that was bearable but then my lips started to tingle and also my hearing in one ear seemed like everyone was far away like I was nearly going deaf in one ear, so I got very scared, googoed it as its not a listed side effect and came across lots of long term lyrica users who have gone deaf in one ear and need hearing aids.
That's why I'm learning sign language.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
SSRIs do nothing for many people, myself included. After a three failed trials, you aren't out of line to ask for something different. Esp with those verified diagnoses on your chart.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you have now tried 3t SSRI's and none have worked? Never take one again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times... I am obviously lacking a great deal of my brain and I should listen to this post.

Finding a good doctor is exhausting but it beats what you are doing now.
Thanks, csuse alls I've been hearing is "there will be a right one for eberyone it takes time to find..."
But I told my GP no more ssri and lyrica wasn't for me, she said well then u have exhausted all my options u will just have to wait for your psych appointment in 3 months n c what he gives you.
I'm looking for a new GP, just gonna try a local one c how it goes..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SSRIs do nothing for many people, myself included. After a three failed trials, you aren't out of line to ask for something different. Esp with those verified diagnoses on your chart.
What did they prescribe u instead?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I'm learning sign language.
Because of the lyrica!
I told my doc it made my hearing bad and she looked angry like I was a hypocondract or making it up or just an awkward patient , she wanted to higher the dose!! I said NO I'm afarade of it, she said well I've exhausted all my options now.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Because of the lyrica!
I told my doc it made my hearing bad and she looked angry like I was a hypocondract or making it up or just an awkward patient , she wanted to higher the dose!! I said NO I'm afarade of it, she said well I've exhausted all my options now.
Of course I was being ironic. I've taken my fair share of pregabalin and I can hear perfectly.

Reactions: basuraeuropea

·
Life is funny
1,688 Posts
The problem with SSRI's is that by the time you've done what they tell you do to and stick it out you've often gained 20 lbs, you feel terrible, your sleep patterns are badly disrupted, you've ground your teeth or any number of bad side effects. Once youve packed on extra weight from these drugs its very hard to lose it. And I know I'm repeating myself but celexa caused permanent hearing damage that I'll never get rid of (Tinnitus). My doctor told me to stay on it and that I never give anything enough time to work. I shouldve stopped that s___ on day 1!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you need to give any medication a full trial before quitting to see if the side affects die down. Of course if they inhibit your daily routine, yes, you should stop and wait for a time when you can take off work and life. If that is not the case though, and you think you can keep it up for the at least three weeks, you should give it a go. If you don't all you're doing is preventing yourself the initial stress of coming onto medications before the benefits begin. Suicidal thoughts i believe are normal on most medications because your body is readjusting almost like puberty. There's this foreign chemical in the body and it hasn't seen it before so it tries to fight off the symptoms by compensating elsewhere and.... science, basically. The thoughts should die down.

Also, if you're going to come to a website for advice like this you might as well not see your psychiatrist. You don't trust him enough to ask him. He's gone to school for years and possibly around a decade of just studying his field. I think he'll have a better opinion than anyone on this site.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you need to give any medication a full trial before quitting to see if the side affects die down. Of course if they inhibit your daily routine, yes, you should stop and wait for a time when you can take off work and life. If that is not the case though, and you think you can keep it up for the at least three weeks, you should give it a go. If you don't all you're doing is preventing yourself the initial stress of coming onto medications before the benefits begin. Suicidal thoughts i believe are normal on most medications because your body is readjusting almost like puberty. There's this foreign chemical in the body and it hasn't seen it before so it tries to fight off the symptoms by compensating elsewhere and.... science, basically. The thoughts should die down.

Also, if you're going to come to a website for advice like this you might as well not see your psychiatrist. You don't trust him enough to ask him. He's gone to school for years and possibly around a decade of just studying his field. I think he'll have a better opinion than anyone on this site.
Erm..thanks but I've a 3 month waiting list till I can see a psyc. So I'm asking people who have been there themselves and had life experience. Also, it doesn't give me a great vote of confidence in my GP when I tell her about a side effect and she says there is no such side effect, then I Google it and yep plenty of people have had same side effect.... A doctor priscribing me Zoloft said "its what air hostesses take to keep calm while flying, its not addictive and has no bad effects, I'm the d
octor trust me" I then told him I'd been on ssri's before and he prescribed 2mgs valium three times daily, that was this morning.
But thanks for the opinion and advice.
Ps. I have a job and a child so I can't take time off life to go through side effects, unless I wanna loose my joband neglect my child... But I know they are a life saver for some people.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem with SSRI's is that by the time you've done what they tell you do to and stick it out you've often gained 20 lbs, you feel terrible, your sleep patterns are badly disrupted, you've ground your teeth or any number of bad side effects. Once youve packed on extra weight from these drugs its very hard to lose it. And I know I'm repeating myself but celexa caused permanent hearing damage that I'll never get rid of (Tinnitus). My doctor told me to stay on it and that I never give anything enough time to work. I shouldve stopped that s___ on day 1!!
Yeah I know what u mean.
I don't understand y a valium on your really anxious days is so bad?? Y do they say its better to get addicted to an ssri daily, and suffer horrible side effects n feel like a zombie for some people... Y???

·
Registered
104 Posts
Erm..thanks but I've a 3 month waiting list till I can see a psyc. So I'm asking people who have been there themselves and had life experience. Also, it doesn't give me a great vote of confidence in my GP when I tell her about a side effect and she says there is no such side effect, then I Google it and yep plenty of people have had same side effect.... A doctor priscribing me Zoloft said "its what air hostesses take to keep calm while flying, its not addictive and has no bad effects, I'm the d
octor trust me" I then told him I'd been on ssri's before and he prescribed 2mgs valium three times daily, that was this morning.
But thanks for the opinion and advice.
Ps. I have a job and a child so I can't take time off life to go through side effects, unless I wanna loose my joband neglect my child... But I know they are a life saver for some people.
I still think most of the side affects people mention last for a short period of time. It's easy to get in a habit of trying new medications and writing them off quickly without going through a full trial. I think you should have tried to wait it out. There is no instant cure, whoever said so is lying.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I would put up with every side effect on the list for a medication that works or even just helped a bit.

Sometimes I wonder if half the people here really have mental illness or maybe they just don't want to get better at all.....addicted to their own "pain"....

The people who stop a medication that is helping them just because of sexual problems can go get feked!

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
^well said. Also the people who quit a drug that works because it eeps thir dick from working. Really? It's tough to get laid with any of the more serious mental illness. So Unless masturbating is more important than sanity, who cares?

Likewise so many people fear such minor side effects - side effects which they've only read about. I'll take any of it to get so much of my life back/

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would put up with every side effect on the list for a medication that works or even just helped a bit.

Sometimes I wonder if half the people here really have mental illness or maybe they just don't want to get better at all.....addicted to their own "pain"....

The people who stop a medication that is helping them just because of sexual problems can go get feked!
Omg I was thinking the same thing!! Unless the sexual problem is going to end their marriage or something I don't get it!!
I stopped my ssri cause I was grinding teeth, headaches, dizzy, getting in trouble at work for being slow, but mainly felt suicidal and capable of doing it.
But I regret stopping lyrica after a day or two cause I think it could have helped but I got scared reading horror stories online. Now I'm on valium 2mg past 3 days n starting CBT . I am as bad as it gets and I should have not stopped the med.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^well said. Also the people who quit a drug that works because it eeps thir dick from working. Really? It's tough to get laid with any of the more serious mental illness. So Unless masturbating is more important than sanity, who cares?

Likewise so many people fear such minor side effects - side effects which they've only read about. I'll take any of it to get so much of my life back/
The lyrica I stopped was not even the issue with the 'side effects' I'm actually anemic n just found out. Lyrica did make my hearing bad the first day n I googled n red horror stories so stopped in fear it wud make my troubles worse rather than better n I couldn't take anymore on my plate!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts