Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is there something very common that you are afraid of?

4K views 84 replies 63 participants last post by  KennethJones 
#1 ·
Doesn't have to have anything to do with SA - I'm afraid to use an automatic car wash.- I realize a trained chimp could easily do that-I have an irrational fear that I'll do something wrong and destroy the car so I come up with any old ridiculous excuse to avoid it.

#6 ·
This is going to sound silly but at times I'm afraid of deep water...partly because I can't swim or even float for that matter. I used to miss all the swimming lessons as a kid because I was so anxious and would chicken out. I'd love to able to swim, I'd go to the beach everyday!

Yeah there's been a few this year. It's scary stuff. I've never had probs with planes, although God help me if it crashed in the middle of the Indian ocean :eek:

#7 ·
I am so scared of the ocean because there are so many creatures there that freak me the hell out. I can't even swim either, so that makes it worse...now sometimes I imagine myself floating there IN their playing ground where I am at the worst disadvantage. Omg I can't even imagine going in the water and then looking down and seeing a HUGE whale swimming by, under me or next to me! OMG I am freaking out just thinking about that. I would die of a heart attack. They are just so huge and scary, and what about those random ocean animals, even fish freak me out!

#9 ·
saym-The gas issue is a problem for me to-I always go to the same gas station,if at all possible. Just realized something-just about anything that involves using something that's mechanical or technical frightens me to death-maybe I should have lived in the 40's - geez I'm sad!

#10 ·
i'm terrified of lake/ocean water of any depth and pool water deeper than 5 or 6 feet. i'm also terrified of anything that might be living in the water, and even in the pool i panic because i feel like there might be something living in there that will grab my foot when i'm not looking.

#12 ·
butterflies.... its the wings...

Other than that, I have a strange one...
Say for example, someone broke a snow globe right in front of me?
I would be scared of anything that comes out of it.
When I was 7 we had a toy fish tank thing made of beach ball plastic with a plastic fish floating in the middle and it burst and my sister chased me all the way down the road with the fish, I hated it.
Anything that isnt meant to come out of an inanimate object.

#13 ·
Automatic car washes is an issue for me as well. I finally washed my truck the other day myself as it was getting pretty dirty. :um

I used to have a fear of drive-thru's, like at a bank or fast-food restaurant, but I go through those now without much of a problem, although I don't go to either very often.

#17 ·
I used to have a fear of drive-thru's, like at a bank or fast-food restaurant, but I go through those now without much of a problem, although I don't go to either very often.
I also used to be terrified of going through the drive through. I would always go inside instead. I don't know why. It would make more sense with the whole anxiety and wanting to avoid people thing to not want to go inside.

#23 ·
I can't swim & I've actually fallen through ice when I lived in the northern territories of Canada so water is definitely something I'm afraid of. For those who also have this fear & particularly of the ocean I suggest you steer clear of the film "Open Water".

I don't drive but at times my mom will ask my to pump gas if we're not at a service station & I dislike it, particularly older pumps, the newer automated ones aren't so bad.

I also dislike elevators, I still take them but my thoughts to go awry when in really tall buildings, a few floors is alright

#24 ·
I'm 45 and still haven't done the automatic car wash. Fear of screwwing something up. I thought I was the only one about pumping gas. Doing it over and over, did help out alot.

#25 ·
i've convinced myself that im going to be murdered, so i always get these really weird day dreamy feeling type things.

for example walking through the mall i pass one of those vendors in the middle and all of a sudden in my head i see him like jumping out at me with a machete and i get scared because that is something that would really happen.

also afraid of semi-trucks

#27 ·
I'm afraid of too many things (lately, anyway). My fears have been controlling me (not the Social Anxiety, as I've grown used to that for the most part)...
I'm terrified of parasites of all kinds...that may be fairly justified, though, as they are pretty creepy.
Lately, though, I'm so scared about the 2012 doomsday theory that it's literally always on my mind. I can't get rid of it >.<

#32 ·
I think I hate spiders and weird-looking insects more than I'm afraid of them, but I get paranoid if I find them in my room. If I see one, I will drop whatever I'm doing and stalk the spider until I am able to kill it. If I know there is an insect at large in my room (esp. near my bed), I will sometimes just sleep in the living room. lol

#34 ·
I will have to agree with that too, insects (especially disgusting looking ones) freak me out. I am not really all out terrified of them but they do scare me. Sometimes when I see a cockroach (the big ugly ones) I panic and I spring out of my room. Any type of insect which looks dangerous or disgusting just makes me go into panic mode. Funny that a big guy like me would be scared of such small things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.