Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's two types that make me most anxious. The aggressive, alpha male/female type and the overly friendly extroverted type.

Because I'm kinda quiet and introverted, these types make me (I make myself) feel most uncomfortable. Then my SA really starts to flare up.

I find my SA is at it's lowest when these types of people aren't around.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As a life-long sufferer of SA, I carved out a niche for myself early on: loyal, submissive sidekick of the most dominant person in the group (be that a male or a female).
I spent my teens and twenties with a series of lovers and "best friends" who were loud, aggressive, bossy, extroverted, and who generally didn't treat me terribly well.
I played to their egos, never attempted to steal their spotlight, and helped them achieve their goals in any way I could. I served as their emotional punching bag, when necessary.
What I got from these relationships was social "protection" (or so I believed). I got the protection of being the best friend of the most powerful person in the group (note: not the most popular person; these "best friends" were generally pretty universally hated and feared individuals. Tolerated only because they were feared.)
It was my self-appointed duty to act as the unofficial PR manager of my best friend du jour: to go around explaining to the rest of the world how this person wasn't actually a horrible *****, how he or she was just misunderstood and unfairly judged, and was actually a real sweetheart once you got to know him/her.

Around the age of 30, I sort of went on the wagon, as far as 'friends' are concerned. I saw that I was repeating this same unhealthy pattern time and time again, and that it was not moving me forward in life.
I had a husband and a child by then. I decided that I didn't need "friends" to hang out with anymore. I didn't need "friends", period, and I didn't need to "hang out", either. That was sort of the end of my youth, although I still look at it as a positive step.
To this day, I am pleased to say that I have no friends: I have family, and I have acquaintances.
There is no in-between.

Sometimes I see two women together shopping or working out or having a drink together, and I feel a little sad about what I'm missing.
But it's not worth the trouble, not for me. I'm better off without it.
The only sort of friends I'm drawn to are dominant ones, and the only reason people like that want to be friends with people like me is so that they can have someone on hand to mistreat.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Defenitely the loud, arrogant type that tell stroies non-stop and think they're hilarious.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Loud, talkative, confident females
Oh wow,sooooo true.- It seems like women tend to display extreme confidence by being very aggresive. These types love nothing better than to cut you down and chop you into little pieces. I'm an easy target for this type because I'm easily intimidated and non confrontational in most situations.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Oh wow,sooooo true.- It seems like women tend to display extreme confidence by being very aggresive. These types love nothing better than to cut you down and chop you into little pieces. I'm an easy target for this type because I'm easily intimidated and non confrontational in most situations.
Does this expression mean, that she gets great enjoyment in humiliating you in front of the others ?

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Does this expression mean, that she gets great enjoyment in humiliating you in front of the others ?
Yes,they like to sharpen there claws on you.- Stangely enough very confident men don't typically bother me at all. It always seems to me that when women are together there's a subtle,underlying competetion going on at almost all times.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The alpha male type. We have a whole crew of them that works in one of the group homes I deal with. One of them is a body builder and I think he does steroids so that makes him worse. He thinks that all the staff that work at the center are enemies. I just hate when I have to go to that house staff meeting. Those of are the kind of people that use to give me lots of trouble in High School.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Exhibitionists, overly extroverted people, the type who jump at the chance to make a comment about how quiet people with SA are, just to be funny in front of their friends and feed their pathetic ego. I can usually tell quote quickly as well...i just wait for the "why are you so quiet" question. which makes them quite boring and predictable to me, even though they come across as the most fun individuals who everyone wants to be around. ugh no thanks.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes,they like to sharpen there claws on you.- Stangely enough very confident men don't typically bother me at all. It always seems to me that when women are together there's a subtle,underlying competetion going on at almost all times.
So these girls, do they like to do it to other girls only, or to males too ?

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Yep, I get anxious around loud laughing extroverted types. Sometimes also quiet type even though i am quiet myself but it makes me anxious because one of you would have to talk first but which one lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Loud, obnoxious, "I like to disagree and cause arguments" types, esp. sales people. Our class had a guest speaker in motivational speeches come in and lecture on how much better it is to be a sales person. I disagree. He was rude too!

·
Banned
877 Posts
Those arrogant that tend to bring out the worst of me and make me want to eat their face. You know, loud-mouth, obnoxious--the whole nine yards. But, since I'm introverted, I remain a mystery to them. So, people like myself keep them on their heels because they don't know me well enough to judge me. In a way, I may even intimidate them.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Definitely!

There's two types that make me most anxious. The aggressive, alpha male/female type and the overly friendly extroverted type.

Because I'm kinda quiet and introverted, these types make me (I make myself) feel most uncomfortable. Then my SA really starts to flare up.

I find my SA is at it's lowest when these types of people aren't around.
Definitely-Like with quieter people I feel more open to converse or make comments or talk or whatever. I feel pressured to be something when I'm around extroverted people. But when I'm around quiter introverted people, I don't really care. With confident people, I feel like I'm not good enough

1 - 20 of 40 Posts