Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this website. My issue with social anxiety is that I have problems interacting with people in small groups. I have a history of chronic unemployment although I graduated with a B.A. degree four years ago. I want to change my life because I am unhappy. I went to see a psychiatrist last month he says I am not depressed and he does not believe I should be on anti depressants.

I thought that if I was on anti depressants that the medication would numb the pain I was feeling and that I could become oblivious to my situation. I thought anti depressants would make my life a little bit easier.

I asked my doctor for a referral in January because I was wondering if I am crazy or mentally ill. In January 2009 I started a new job I was excited about it the first day was very good. However, the second day I became anxious and self conscious. During the morning break there were these straight guys sitting at another table talking about sports.

I don't know anything about the NBA. I was sitting at another table playing with my cell phone. I know when I look back on the incident that the heterosexual men were not homophobic or anything. I was irrational and I became extremely nervous.

After the morning break I walked by the straight guys and went back to the training room. I was able to hang in until my lunch break. I called a distress phone number during my lunch break but the line was busy. I am so disappointed in myself because I messed up once again.

The psychiatrist also said he feels I am motivated to change my life and that my problems are situational. Since I am a LGBT person the psychiatrist recommended that I contact a gay counselling service in my area. I did contact the LGBT counselling service and was informed I have to wait eight weeks.

I decided to volunteer at the local community center two weeks ago. I thought that maybe volunteering will help me to cope with being around people. I thought my first volunteer experience was very positive. I had to hand out flyers with another volunteer, enter shops and explain the mandate of the community center to the public.

I also attended my first social anxiety support group last week. I was very nervous because I don't know anyone at the group. I sat for the hour and a half listening to people talk. I was just observing.

I do want to change my life because I realize I do need a job I want to be a productive member of society.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Much hope. :D

go back and read what you wrote, but pretend you are reading someone else's post, and then think what advice you would give them. see what you come up with.

you know what you want and you are going for it, it just sounds like you are scared and you need help along the way. you came to the right place! keep going to your meetings and volunteer days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's going to be a long road ahead, but stick with it. What you're doing sounds like you're on the right track. Don't give up. If you need support, we're all here to help.

·
calm
264 Posts
try next time summing up what you wanna say, and also a more specific topic.
in order to get more people encouraged to take part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts