Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been coming home from school so weak and lethargic. I have little energy, and have massive headaches. I've been feeling so depressed and discouraged from my SA that the negative thoughts are flowing more than ever before. When you guys get stuck in depressive stages what do you do to help yourself get back on your feet?

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I second listening to music. When I come home from work, I'm usually really fatigued and lethargic. I'm prone to watching TV while resting on my bed. I basically give in to my laziness that way. But I do push myself to go outside and walk around my backyard, hang out with my cat and take photographs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lately, I've been coming home from school so weak and lethargic. I have little energy, and have massive headaches. I've been feeling so depressed and discouraged from my SA that the negative thoughts are flowing more than ever before. When you guys get stuck in depressive stages what do you do to help yourself get back on your feet?
Hi. Here are two things that you can use:

1. Talk to yourself. Release negative thoughts into the air where they are naturally resolved. When you hear yourself saying these negative thoughts to yourself aloud, their emotional value is lost in transition. I think it's because of how personally we can treat thoughts, that allows them to have extreme emotional values.

2. Picture a STOP sign in your head and shout stop. This is used as a coping strategy for racing thoughts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The stop sign is a good one. Have a good cry if you feel like it, and then clench your fists and tell yourself 'enough'. Once you have got it out of your system, get busy to take your mind off the bad thoughts

·
Lost
342 Posts
Oh golly I wish there was an off switch as I would like to press that often.

I dunno I try and think of nice things instead...like things I'm looking forward to and that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That sounds like every day of school for me last year. I've had problems with negative thoughts too and still do. You have to stop yourself from thinking them and kind of step back from them. Although its really hard yo have to try to stop yourself from thinking them and just keep moving. Doing something helps too I know excercising helps me alot. Keeping a journal helps alot too. Ask your therapist about techniques if you can.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whenever I catch myself having negative thoughts--about myself, or a situation, or life, or whatever--I have to make a conscious effort to make myself stop. Like some other people who have already posted, saying "stop" or "enough" out loud helps.

Also, I have to remind myself that a negative view is *just one* interpretation, and force myself to try to think of a way of interpreting a situation/person/event that is positive for all involved. It may not necessarily be true, but the point is, it's *just as likely* as the negative view.

It's all about breaking habits, and for me a big habit was always looking at, well, pretty much everything negatively. It's not magic, and I forget all the time, it is a pain in the ***, but it is the single most effective thing I've tried to change my life.

I think I started doing that... maybe 3 or 4 months ago. It gets easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All right, here's my take.
I go through these periods too. And not just when I'm PMSing.

Firstly, release that negative energy. Rant in an empty room. Get it out. And if you can, see if you can understand why you're feeling all the negative energy.

Next, do something that makes you feel good about yourself. I'm assuming by your name, you play guitar? If you do, consider that it's pretty cool that you play guitar. And play on, my friend. And you don't just have to do activities that make you feel good. And exercise or fresh air make you feel great instantly. Try going for a walk around the block. Seriously, nothing feels so refreshing as that simple 20 minutes clearing your head outside. And lastly, don't laugh - but honestly, if you try to make yourself look really hot, it's a major confidence boost, especially when you see heads turn toward you.
Have some fun with it. Do your makeup a little fancier than usual, dress a little nicer than usual, make your hair nice, and pop on a pair of high heels - holy crap, do those things hurt sometimes, but are they EVER a great confidence boost.

And when all is done, try to single out the things you're grateful for.

·
Registered
153 Posts
not really, u just got to ride it out...when your feeling really good and then 1 day, you stoop back down to feeling like crap again, you gotta let it out, i find if you got a friend, girlfriend or someone in your family you can talk to...it sounds so cheesy but if you have just 1 person you can confide in, thats the only way i feel better is when i tell them how crappy im feeling and usually they will say something authentic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts