Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the skeptical people, especially if the skeptical people's experience with psychology is limited to Dr. Phil and what they've seen in movies. You have to do what's right for you, and there's only one way to figure out what that is.

The only way to know if therapy is the solution for you is to give it a try. Obviously your doctor thinks it would be of benefit in your situation, and he would know better than we would - he knows you in person and talked with you about your problems.

I would be wary of the therapist who doesn't have a direction or a plan. There's a lot of therapists who are content to have you discuss how the last week has gone with no larger plan of treatment. While that kind of supportive therapy can be helpful depending on your circumstances, I think it's more productive to have some kind of goals or structure to make sure you keep moving forward. Make sure you ask about what the therapist's approach is - by the end of the history session, they should be able to give you a rough outline of what they will cover with you over the next few weeks, or tell you what approach (like CBT) they use. They may need to modify it depending on how things go and what comes up as they get to know you better, but they should have a plan.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts