Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a BA in Theatre/Film and will finish an MA in Theatre History/Film in Spring. Job outlooks aren't great for any degree outside of practical skills like business, accounting, nursing etc. You're not much worse off with a Drama degree than you are with an English, History, or Communications degree, just to name a few. Most liberal arts/humanities degrees are worthless in the real world unless you have teacher certification, and the teaching job market is horrible now anyway.

I really wish I could turn back time and be a business, accounting, or computer science major, but I made a horrible mistake. What I'm hoping for is that certain jobs like government jobs will hire people with Masters in any field. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably end up in menial office work for a while. I'll do the best I can to never go back to retail, even if that means getting another worthless degree just to bide my time.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
I'm a year and a half away from graduation and I'm already starting to panic. I chose to get a degree in this subject because it was the only thing I felt I could do. I could have gone for a degree in business or economics, but I know I would have been miserable doing so. I'm the kind of person that likes to challenge myself, so I decided to take a risk and study drama. The only thing I've ever heard from people is how hopeless it is for drama majors to find work. The thing is that not everybody who studies drama wants to be an actor. Some go on to become teachers, others go on to work in production and back stage, and some go on to work in management and the business side of theatre. To say that drama only teaches you how to act is completely and utterly false because I've taken quite a variety of courses and only one of them so far was performance oriented.

I was also a stage manager for the past couple of months for a play involving children. You have no idea how much I've learned doing that. It's even gotten me thinking that I might want to work with kids someday, probably teaching drama. Being put in charge of a production also taught me a lot of management skills, so I think I've learned what it takes to be a team leader. In addition, I also learned a lot about myself. For example, I've learned that if I'm a director, I can be very tough and I expect a lot out of the cast. Since I was also responsible for operating lights, I learned a bit more about the technical side of theatre, plus they might even have me come back to do it again. Finally, the director said she is going to give me a good letter of recommendation.

With all of that said, I still worry that I may not be able to get a job in the near future. I know the typical stories about actors having to work as waiters in their spare time. Even if I can get something like that, it would be fine for a while if it helped me to pay my bills, but not something I would want to do my entire life. I'm not even sure what I want to do specifically.
Why don't you try working as a drama teacher at a high school then? Sounds like a perfect fit. Could probably get a teaching certificate or agree to teach in the underprivileged places for tuition assistence for your further schooling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why don't you try working as a drama teacher at a high school then? Sounds like a perfect fit. Could probably get a teaching certificate or agree to teach in the underprivileged places for tuition assistence for your further schooling.
i was just about to say this! i think being a HS drama teacher would be awesome, the drama teachers were always the cool teachers at my Highschool :D

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I would continue to learn drama and perhaps take a business course or see if you can minor in something. I can't say for sure that they job outlook could vastly improve (it could), but it can't get much worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts