Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this ever since I got my last full-time job. Right now, we work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week. It could be because I hated the job I was at, but I don't think I would have minded it as much if I worked less hours. But 8 hours is a long time, and I have a hard time being motivated to do anything for that long. It might have been a little more tolerable if I was only working 6 hours a day because by the 6th hour, all I wanted to do was go home.

I was talking to my mom about this and she was saying that there was talk about moving the working week from 5 days to 4, but the consequence is that you'd have to work 10 hours a day. That sounds even worse to me. It would be impossible for people who have to commute a long distance to work to manage because they wouldn't have any free time anymore. A typical work day isn't just 8 hours because you also have to factor in the time you need to get ready in the morning and to get to and from work.

I know a lot of it depends on how happy you are with your job/career, but statistics constantly show that the overwhelming majority of people hate their jobs. That's pathetic and it shows that the way the working week operates needs to be reconsidered.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It can be too much for someone with SAD. Socializing makes work so much more bearable.

Isn't the work week decided by the company? How would we be able to change the hours necessary to work and adjust the pay accordingly?

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
It's definitely excessive if you hate what you're doing. I work in an office from 10:30am to 5pm (so not quite 8 hours) and the day absolutely drags because I'm chained to a desk all day and thoroughly bored of my job. Back in my last job (not in an office) I didn't mind as much as I was walking around a lot and worked to a quick pace so the time went by a lot faster.

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It definitely does depend on what you're doing. I've personally never had a job that I enjoyed doing, so the amount of time they kept me there seemed excessive. I'm primarily considering the statistics of career fulfillment and it shows that most people hate their jobs. But there are obvious reasons as to why most people hate their jobs. Some of them are related to the type of work they're doing, but there are likely other factors involved, such as the amount of time they have to work. There's nothing more miserable than working 8 hours a day at a job you hate.

If I could get myself settled into a career that I loved, than 8 hours probably wouldn't be as excessive to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree, 8 hours is long, Google have the right idea (not sure if its the reality though) where people can work/have naps/choose which desk, basically more flexibility and understanding of how people like to work.

·
c'est moi
5,888 Posts
Hi CrimsonTrigger,

Get this. A lot of people work a lot more than 40 hours per week. :puke

Personally, I would love it if I could work half days on survivable pay. I work four nine-hour days, one eight hour day, and get one day every other week off. (this is in an 80-hour period) There is definitely a feeling of being trapped. Some days its great, others it's just okay, and some days I just want to go home or outside dangit!

There is no way you could talk me into four tens either. Yech!

The eight-hour workday is necessary for a good portion of us, but I admit that it feels unnatural.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
Welcome to the world of work .
Get used to it only 20+ years to go .
On average 1h get ready 1h travel to 8h work( pay) 1h lunch 1h travel home = 12 h per day stuck doing work **** 8h sleep leaves 4hours a day roughly for other stuff , not much time so it would be better to do longer days and have 3 full days off you'd be better off by 4h . And save 1 days lunch and travel expenses .

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Factor in answering work emails and messages in after work hours and tjat can add up to another 7 or 8 hours on top of 40. Most people have a smart phone these days and never really get to leave their job.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't think eight hours is bad but when I've been asked to do extra on top of that, adding up to more than 40 hours a week, is when I started feeling (and sometimes acting "crazy" at past jobs. I never did anything really horrible but I said some weird things and cried on occasion.. 40 hours is my max limit.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I work 10 hour days, 4 days a week, sometimes 5 days a week. My job before that averaged 10 plus 5 days a week, I never had a bi weekly check with less than 20 hours of overtime.

·
Registered
867 Posts
yeah i didn't like it. when i was working for someone i rather it be 3 or 4 - 8 hour day so i have some money and also enough time to work on my own problems. 5 day work week did not seem to allow enough time to work on my anxiety problem. but i had crappy mind numbing jobs like data entry so that's probably why. have not worked for someone for over 6.5 years.

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
3,996 Posts
I work 4 10's and the 3 day weekend is awesome! Even better the 4 day weekends on stats.

For amusement; the longest day I ever worked; I got up at 4:45am and got home at 10:30pm. Different job, different workplace. I don't miss those insane days where "hell or high water, the mill's gotta run!"

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,975 Posts
For me it depends what I'm doing. Some days drag on forever, but if I'm working on a new project then the time passes quickly. Perhaps I should swap teams to the group that gets hundreds of short projects rather than a few big ones, but then those might be unfulfilling.

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of interesting thoughts. Do you all enjoy your jobs? I know for a fact that I hated mine and was considering quitting really fast. 8 hours is a long time, but even where I was working, 2 hours felt like too much. I know an 8+ hour day is mandatory in a lot of different places for different reasons. I've been trying to find work that I would be okay doing, but it's been really difficult.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
My full time job often gives me unpleasant surprises like today...

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
I work 10 hour days, 4 days a week, sometimes 5 days a week. My job before that averaged 10 plus 5 days a week, I never had a bi weekly check with less than 20 hours of overtime.
You're lucky. All jobs I've had were stingy with the over time so I don't get to work that much overtime.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
8 hours a day isn't bad at all, it's actually a couple of hours too short in my opinion.
It's the 5 days a week part that I hate. I think this is because I commute 30 minutes to work (1 hour total, to and from), so it's better for me if I just spend an entire day there then get an extra day off.

12 hours a day for 3 days a week would be ideal for me. 7-7, 8-8 or 9-9 is good for me.
10 hrs a day for 4 days a week is good too.

However, my opinion would completely change though if I had a girlfriend or a social life. :)

·
Banned
3,209 Posts
It's only excessive if you hate your job. Working in retail I would always hate getting shorter shifts, you still have to make the effort to work that day but get paid less.

·
Registered
875 Posts
In my field you can easily get to work 90 hours a week, depending on your position :s
It's not so bad though, you will get used to it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts