Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't recall giving any graphic details in my thread. i also didn't refer to anything of sexual nature at all. i was discussing a normal and natural bodily function that only something like, 50% of the world's population have to deal with throughout most of their life.

health matters are constantly discussed here. hell, the whole board is based on a specific mental health issue. i see threads about people expressing concerns about pretty much everything you can think of that relates to one's body. topics that in person might be deemed as "TMI" are posted, e.g. about bowel movements, flatulence, etc. and they always seem to be acceptable.

how is it that discussing menstruation is suddenly crossing the line and deemed as inappropriate or (even funnier) offensive?

yes it's part of the female reproductive system and it is an essential in being able to procreate but other than that nothing sexual is even being hinted at when discussing this.

i know some of you thought "ewww periods, icky!!" when there's even the slightest mention, and hey i don't blame you since it is icky and there's nothing wrong with expressing that. but everyone's capable of passing over a thread. and there are many here who would want to discuss it. i do sometimes want to talk about it, and it's not exactly something i can just bring up casually with a co-worker in the office or friends i talk to on a regularly basis since a lot of them are males.

its really just quite silly and it reminds of being in the play ground at school when kids would go "oh my god periods!!! ewwww don't talk about that!!!" except that none of us here are children and it's a grown adult who considers it as being "too much information" to the point where it's offensive.

i know that "mods decisions are final" yada yada and all but i'm genuinely curious and i hope i can get a decent answer expressing why menstruation is an inappropriate topic to discuss, rather than just being ignored.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I thought the closing was ridiculous, too, especially when bowel-related threads are apparently fine.

No one ever had any problems with diva cup or menstruation discussions on a pretty heavily moderated board I used to go to.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The notion of "TMI" is extremely subjective, especially with a topic like periods. For many of us men, anything related to menstruations is TMI.

However, it is a natural body function for women and I didn't saw anything in the thread that seemed inappropriate, so I don't really understand why it was closed (nobody was obligated to click on it and nobody was obligated to google diva cup)

Also, maybe a non-SA Health/Medical section could be created for health topic that are not related to SA (like the discussed topic)? We have sports, entertainment, work place, why not health?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
We are a family friendly board and try to keep things at a PG-13 level. Discussion of feminine hygiene products is a bit much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.