Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here experienced weight gain on an SSRI and actually tracks their calories? I was just wondering if the mechanism of the weight gain has something to do with possibly slowing down the metabolism or something else. I'm not on any SSRIs right now, but I've been currently dieting for 2 years and strictly watch my calorie intake. I gain weight really easy and don't want to get on an SSRI if it's going to get me fat, but if it's related to appetite, then that's something I have control over.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
SSRIs gave me the appetite I needed. Being off them now, I feel like I'm disappearing. No appetite, can't eat. I've lost around 40 pounds. It's frightening.

My case is really odd, not many people get their depression with melancholia. But it did give me appetite. I don't track my calories, it's kind of pointless when you're trying to stop weight loss.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
It's not TOO common in the first place, but yes, it's related to an increase in appetite for the most part, and it's usually not that significant. It's speculated that the overall weight gain we see statistically from SSRIs has to do with the treatment of depression that was causing a LACK of appetite. People who have compulsive eating problems from depression often lose weight.

Remeron (not an SSRI per se) gives you a monster appetite that I envy anybody who has enough self-control to tame it. Some of the antipsychotics have a huge effect on appetite too, but they also create metabolic problems (even linked to diabetes), so in my opinion it's wise to steer clear of those. The atypical antipsychotics are very popular for physicians in difficult cases of depression and anxiety. Many would rather put you on them than a benzo... ugh.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Remeron (not an SSRI per se) gives you a monster appetite that I envy anybody who has enough self-control to tame it.
Yeah I'm working on that lol, In the last 5 months remerons made me gain 5 kgs which I am now in the process of trying to lose (I'm still on the remeron coz it does help me with some things.) I'll let you know how I go.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For me, SSRIs have always given me a huge appetite. One particular thing about me is I would get bad headaches, and I often try and eat more food when I have a headache. For whatever reason, food usually helps my headache.

Anyway, I just tried Bupropion (NDRI), and it's WAAAY better than any SSRI I've ever taken. Gives me energy and doesn't make me feel hungry.:D

·
Haters to the left.
2,699 Posts
I've been taking Paxil for 3 months, and it has actually decreased my appetite (lost 2 lbs.).

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I'm always suprised when people say that SSRI's make them hungy and sleepy, they generally have the opposite effect on me, they make me speedy and decrease my appetite.

·
Banned
232 Posts
no antidepressants cause weight gain but fear of weight gain is a popular excuse for refusing to take them

remeron sometimes causes compulsive eating

·
Registered
544 Posts
The ones that made me gain the most weight SSRI wise were Paxil and Celexa, and they were probably the most tiring and sedating too. Remeron was the worst for excessive hunger and sedation outside the SSRI family. Effexor decreased my appetite to frighteningly small amounts.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
Paxil caused me to gain about 40 pounds six or seven years ago (before taking it, I could eat whatever I want without gaining weight). It increased my appetite to an extreme extent. When I switched to Zoloft, I still had weight problems. Wellbutrin, on the other hand, has been a godsend. It's helped me lose weight. I'm staying clear of SSRIs from now on. I've found that the side effects far outweigh the benefits.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
How do you guys rate Wellbutrin for anxiety? I've heard of it being used for SA, but my vague memory of it was a great increase in anxiety, along with benefit on motivation and depression.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
How do you guys rate Wellbutrin for anxiety?.
Wellbutrin didnt really do anything for me. I thought it was quite expensive too for generic.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Has anyone here experienced weight gain on an SSRI and actually tracks their calories? I was just wondering if the mechanism of the weight gain has something to do with possibly slowing down the metabolism or something else. I'm not on any SSRIs right now, but I've been currently dieting for 2 years and strictly watch my calorie intake. I gain weight really easy and don't want to get on an SSRI if it's going to get me fat, but if it's related to appetite, then that's something I have control over.
It does both for me.....bigger appetite and slowed metabolism. :(

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
How do you guys rate Wellbutrin for anxiety? I've heard of it being used for SA, but my vague memory of it was a great increase in anxiety, along with benefit on motivation and depression.
This isn't about wellbutrin exactly, but probably the one positive thing that I noticed when using Moclobemide, was that it gave me the energy of a few cups of coffee, with virtually none of the anxiety, that most/some stimulating type meds would usually give.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Some meds may just increase your appetite through stimulating certain receptors, which means if you can control your eating, then you shouldn't gain any weight.

However, I think some meds can affect chemicals in the body that are related to metabolism, which in effect would literally slow down your chemical metabolism (something about corticotropin-releasing factor...Google it, lol). Anticonvulsants and antipsychotics are notorious for this effect, but lithium and some antidepressants have also been linked to this effect as well - Paxil and Effexor were two of the main ones I came across while reading about this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had finally had it a few weeks ago, I went in to my doctor and decided to switch from Effexor to Wellbutrin. I've gone from 175 lbs to 220 in a period of two years.. it pissed me off so much. I still stay active with basketball and coaching... I'm now in the second week of weaning off of Effexor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts