Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering... will I grow out of this at some time? I am 40 and I was wondering if one day it won't matter. I mean do the elderly go through this too or is there a typical age range for going through this?:um

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nah i don't think it is age related. The only thing dealing with age is i think kids learn to be social easier. And move on from social "upsets" easier. Cuz we all remember kindergarten, I was freaked out pretty bad, but quickly loosened up, but as we get older we hold on to pass experience longer and it effects us more. Less we learn to deal and move pass it,
sigh

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Hi, I was just wondering... will I grow out of this at some time? I am 40 and I was wondering if one day it won't matter. I mean do the elderly go through this too or is there a typical age range for going through this?:um
You could "grow out of it", I guess. Stranger things have happened. If you didn't always have SA then it's reasonable to think you won't always have it or that it could get better.

Is it age related? If you're asking if there's an age where it's likely to occur, it might be more likely in some age groups but I think it just happens when it happens and time is really not that much of a factor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't think it's age related. I think that as we get older, we have more experience behind us and it takes some of the shock out of certain situations. Things that would have caused me to exhibit symptoms of anxiety in the past, may not bother me so much now because I have faced them over and over, and know a little better how to handle the situation now. The things I have avoided still cause anxiety for me. I also think that how much emphasis is put in your mind on the importance a particular anxiety and avoidance of something, causes it to grow into something major, where it can turn into a phobia. I still have some few of those.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm fairly certain that one of my aunts has social anxiety, but I'm not sure because she doesn't talk to us (bad history between her and my dad). My dad has told me on several occasions that I act just like her, and once told me about how she went to the grocery store, filled up her basket, then got anxious and had to leave. Anyways, she's 65+ and, from what her kids say, she still acts that way, so it's likely she still has it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it might be age-related to a certain extent in my age. When I was younger, I was more naive and more optimistic about the world, so although I knew I was shy, lacking self-confidence, lacking good social skills, l thought that life still held a lot of promise for me, and there'd be people out there who'd be my friend if only I took the initiative. I gave my look a major overhaul, started reading fashion mags and wearing nice things and having nice hairstyles and using makeup, and *made* myself go up to people I don't know, and introduce myself to them, ask them out to lunch, strike up a conversation about something really random... and it did help me find friends and acquaintances. As I grew older and got more life experience, I also learnt more about people, how some people can be really horrible to others (or to me) even if it was unprovoked, etc. and it made me become more jaded and guarded, and less optimistic and hopeful about things... like these days I'd rather die than to go up to people and introduce myself or ask them out to lunch, for fear of being shunted. Its funny how as I type this and remember the "me" back then, I think I must have appeared more confident than I really was inside, and that might have been the factor that had drawn people to me. I just can't do this anymore. I feel really ****e about my body shape because I've got a horrible stomach from 3 pregnancies. Besides I think that once I'm a mother of 3, married, and over 30, I'm not really "supposed" to be acting like I did when I was younger. People might think I'm shameless and a flirt and not concentrating enough on my job as a mum. LOL! :)

·
Banned
3 Posts
Kitty, you are 40 years old. No offense, but at the age you are at now, why the heck would your anxiety just poof and disappear? Let me explain something to you: Anxiety is something that can go away when you get through high school and college and IF it is in a small amount and you are mostly a normally relaxed individual. But if you have extreme anxiety, like someone can look at you say that you are tense, even when you are relaxed, then your anxiety is something that will not go away unless you can learn to relax. This is me, tense when relaxed, which makes me have the worst kind of anxiety someone can possibly have. You thought you had it bad, didn't you Kitty?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts