Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is social anxiety really curable. Some days I feel like i'm on top of the world and can do literally anything... yes anything. Other days I feel like everyone is looking at me.
I have also noticed that the more that I think about thing the more worried I become. So I just try to have an empty mind and go with the flow.. It really helps.
Another thing that I have noticed is that if you keep thinking that you are a victim life is going to be s*** indeed! I try to surround myself with positive people it helps aloootttt!!
Finally, my final barrier has to be girls.. even though I am a good looking guy I always think that I am going to be rejected and laughed at. And when I girl actually like me I totally panic. Once I was walking with my boys and these 4 hot chicks look at me and were like HIIIIIII.. I said hi and smiled and kept walking. Even after that they were checking me out as I was walking away.. wtf? I was so mind boggled.

If you want to share tips about any of the above please the.. especially the ladies :yes

·
Author
242 Posts
I've lived with SA all my life. About 6 years ago I began exercicing, I used to walk 5 miles every day. My energy level was insanely high. I lost 40lbs during that time and I felt really good about myself. The more I exercised, the more energetic I was. I felt better than I ever did in my life. I got a job and was on top of the world. I began making friends and it was a good time in my life. That only lasted a couple years. I stopped exercising, went back to my old eating habits, lost my job, friends. Gained the weight back and here I am now, once again feeling sorry for myself. I can't say if SA can be cured, I think when you feel good about yourself, when your self-esteem is high, you will notice that SA is hiding its ugly face.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I wish there was its a living hell for me, every day. I wish I was dead.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes. I didn't overcome social anxiety until I was in my 30's. Now I'm much more outgoing and a lot less self conscious.

What helped me:

1. Meditation and mindfulness. I give 90% credit to meditation. It helped me to see myself as I really was, not through the distorted lenses of 20+ years of emotional and mental baggage.

2. Buddhist and Stoic philosophy on controlling emotions and controlling your mind. I recommend "Mindfulness in plain English", "Emotional Intelligence", "A guide to the good life: The ancient art of stoic joy".

3. Self compassion. I forgive myself for everything. Before I used to beat myself for everything. I know that I'm human and humans make mistakes. Sometimes I'm mean, goofy, quiet, nerdy, angry, jealous, petty....etc. and it's OKAY. I try my best and that's all that matters.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Yes there is a cure... But I don't tell anyone anymore because they don't like hearing they have a problem to work on or change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
since its mostly learned, then yes it is curable, but it of course requires everything you got to beat it. As far as tips, just follow your namesake, Ronaldinho who gets made fun of for his looks and goofiness is swimming in girls. So find something your good at...girls will always be out there and can come later.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Yes. Absolutely.

Edit: Assuming you're referring to SAD.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Social anxiety is not cureable since humans are social creatures. This means there will always be some level of social anxiety and insecurity in social interaction. However you can learn to manage it with:

attentional control
social skills training
assertiveness training
densensitization
reducing sensitivity to negative evaluatons and criticisms
meditation
getting out there and mixing with people

You panic when a girl likes you. Just observe your feelings of fear as something that is holding you back and try to ignore it as best as you can or tell it to **** off.

·
Moving Towards Destiny
1,835 Posts
I personally do not think it can ever be completely cured.

It can be worked with and controlled up to a point, but I think we are born with it. I have fought with it since I was 4 years old, shivering in fear in a corner in pre-school and to this day as a grown man I am more alone and miserable than I have ever been despite trying to deal with it for decades.

Other than getting help though therapists, family and friends, good diet and exercise and staying away from excessive alcohol and drugs, I think that is about all we can do. And pray.

After rereading this, I realize that I may have overstated things.

I am thinking of a couple friends of mine when I was a teenager that were a bit like me and they overcame much of their SA. Perhaps I am coloring my view from my experiences. I certainly hope it can be cured !

·
Registered
798 Posts
I believe it's possible to cure it. But you would need the right kind of friends and something that can really boost up your confidence.

If you really put enough effort into fighting SA and make enough progress, then it's possible for you to be at a level where SA doesn't really affect you anymore.

·
Registered
587 Posts
it CAN be cured - and not just "controlled up to a point it won't bother you anymore" - it can be completely rooted out. My mom is the perfect example. She has told me stories of her childhood - a perfect example of severe social anxiety disorder. But now, she's a completely different person - extroverted and very outgoing, because she forced herself to do things that are out of her comfort zone.

When i was 3 years old, i had a social anxiety so severe that as soon as my mom took me to the kindergarten and then went away, i started hysterically crying and panicking. I avoided all of the other kids. I hardly ever spoke anything.

I went to school when i was 7. I avoided everyone. when i walked in the hallways, i walked really close to the wall, hoping no one would notice me. I had no friends.

Things have changed radically now. I went from a severe degree of social anxiety to a much milder one just as i grew up. And by meditation, which is probably the best way to cure anxiety related issues, i have been able to reduce my SA even more.

To cure social anxiety, you need to Have positive thinking: "I can do it!!" not "i'm a worthless slob, i should just kill myself." Try meditating. You can do it in any position - lying down on the bed works best for me. Don't move, relax as much as possible. Focus on your breath, not your thoughts. Try to clear your mind of all thoughts. It worked for me the first time i tried it. And the third really important thing is that you have to constantly do things that are out of your comfort zone. The more you avoid a social situation, the more anxious you will be about it next time.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - Frank Zappa.

·
Moving Towards Destiny
1,835 Posts
Thank You. Very Endcouraging

it CAN be cured - and not just "controlled up to a point it won't bother you anymore" - it can be completely rooted out. My mom is the perfect example. She has told me stories of her childhood - a perfect example of severe social anxiety disorder. But now, she's a completely different person - extroverted and very outgoing, because she forced herself to do things that are out of her comfort zone.

When i was 3 years old, i had a social anxiety so severe that as soon as my mom took me to the kindergarten and then went away, i started hysterically crying and panicking. I avoided all of the other kids. I hardly ever spoke anything.

I went to school when i was 7. I avoided everyone. when i walked in the hallways, i walked really close to the wall, hoping no one would notice me. I had no friends.

Things have changed radically now. I went from a severe degree of social anxiety to a much milder one just as i grew up. And by meditation, which is probably the best way to cure anxiety related issues, i have been able to reduce my SA even more.

To cure social anxiety, you need to Have positive thinking: "I can do it!!" not "i'm a worthless slob, i should just kill myself." Try meditating. You can do it in any position - lying down on the bed works best for me. Don't move, relax as much as possible. Focus on your breath, not your thoughts. Try to clear your mind of all thoughts. It worked for me the first time i tried it. And the third really important thing is that you have to constantly do things that are out of your comfort zone. The more you avoid a social situation, the more anxious you will be about it next time.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - Frank Zappa.
That was encouraging and that is part of what I have been doing recently; forcing myself to get out of my comfort zone and force myself to get into social situations and I think I am slowly getting better.

I find at least I am not over-analyzing my social interaction nearly as much as I used to because I am getting used to it more. Along with the swimming and getting better physically I think it can at least get better.

As a kid and teenager I was far more active socially than now as a grown man.
If I can do it then, I can do it now !
Thanks!

It is hard but I suppose we have no choice or nothing will get better !

·
SAS Member
4,385 Posts
YES. But, it won't be easy. I also believe that you do not have to live in misery if you have SA or no friends. Friends are nice, but you don't need them to be successful in life.

....Coming from a person who has 0 friends and severely closed off from others.....​

1 - 20 of 24 Posts