Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lonely Boy
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

in your opinion, do you think social anxiety can be cured completely without leaving any traces?

Or it can't be cured completely but only can be managed?

Thanks.

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
Any traces? Most people have some anxiety in social circumstances sometimes, even if it's a miniscule amount.

The key is to overcome it to the point where it doesn't hold you back from doing what you want and being who you want/are meant to be.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It's the latter and as metus said, as long as it doesn't inhibit you from experiencing life then it's okay. Remember a lot of ppl experience anxiety at one stage or another but the difference is that they move on. My former psyche and gp have blushed and those professions are pretty anxiety inducing, performance wise. But they get over it. Sa can exist but it doesnt necessarily have to dim your quality of life. Just smile :)

Posted via Topify on Android

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Hi guys,

in your opinion, do you think social anxiety can be cured completely without leaving any traces?

Or it can't be cured completely but only can be managed?

Thanks.
I think everyone is different, but for me I don't think it can be cured.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There have been posters on this board who claim to have been cured, so its possible for some people. However, for the majority, a complete cure isn't possible but you can substantially reduce it to where it doesn't harm your life as much. Self-help books generally speak of "recovery" rather than a "cure."

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
If you truly have SAD and not a minor case of social anxiety, then I don't believe so. Small improvements could be made here and there but ultimately it will always stick around. For me personally, most if not all of the improvements that I have made eventually regressed back to the their initial state. It is a continuous cycle for a lot of us here. The best treatment I have come across is medication, but as it's known, it only serves as a temporary "crutch" and not a cure. Unless one so happens to stay on their medication for the rest of their lives, which I might have to seriously consider for myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There was a point, for me, when my anxiety was completely kicked out of the door. I was homeless for a couple months and that forced me into interactions. A switch went off in my head because all of a sudden all I had to focus on was survival. No time for anxiety/worry. Had to survive. I moved into another family members home and for a couple months I was anxiety free (hitting on girls, social butterfly etc) but slowly and slowly I fell back into this hole I was previously in. Comfort kills my friend.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Everyone is different

I think it's different for everyone. From the degree that it effects them to how well they are able to manage it.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know that I have had SA my whole life. I remember feeling this way when I was really young and didn't understand why. My whole time in school really sucked. I don't think I can be cured.

Before I knew it was SA I just thought of myself as "this is just the way I am, if anyone doesn't like it then that's just too bad." I don't really feel a need to have friends. I enjoy talking to people sometimes, but most people I end up not liking for one reason or another. Human nature can be disgusting at times when you see people at their core.

Anyhow, no I can not be cured. There is no cure for me. I do what I can to survive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts