Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i went to the drug store to get some clonazapam which is called rivotril in australia i was surprised to see that it was not called rivotril. It says it is clonazepam but the trade name is Paxam 2. I clearly said that i did not want generic brands but i have a feeling this is generic. Its not even listed in wikipedia and i have heard generic brands are not as effective as the original brand.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
People that say generics are less effective than brands don't have a clue what they're talking about. Unless you're buying off a shady street dealer who made the drugs in his bathtub, there are standards pharmaceutical companies have to comply with and you can be pretty damn sure the active ingredients will be there in correct quantities. When actually dispensed by a pharmacy you are more or less guaranteed of this.

There are some cases where brand makes a difference (such as different pill coatings preventing absorption), but these cases are very, very rare. I'm thinking of stuff like Nardil with its enteric coating, not benzos.

Rivotril is an excellent brand of clonazepam by the way, and is the most popular in many countries.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
The ultimate irony is that many major brand name drug companies have a generic devision, so when they tried to spread the idea that generics don't measure up to the "real thing" they were effectively saying their own generic devision makes garbage.

Under FDA rules (I know you're not in the US) a generic drug is deemed equivalent if tested and found to produce blood levels of the drug that are +/- 20% of what you get from taking the brand name.

Some take that to mean that generics are substandard junk that can vary by as much as 20%. Well, here's a newsflash: different lots of brand name drugs from the same factory can vary just as much. Making pills, like anything else, is not 100% accurate and there is always going to be some room for variation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.