Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started Celexa about two weeks ago, and while I feel it's starting to help with my anxiety, the associated sleeping problems have been persistent. I have a very hard time falling asleep, and when I do, it's only for three or four hours at a time. And if I wake up two hours into sleep, I'm unable to fall back asleep.

I don't want stop this medication if it continues to help with my debilitating anxiety, but I may have to if I'm unable to sleep well.

Is the doctor likely to give me something to help me sleep?

I'm a 19-year-old male.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I'm pretty sure he will give you something to help you sleep if you tell him you can't sleep more than 3-4 hours for a longer period of time.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
It depends on the doctor. My GP laughs at people who say they can't sleep and tells them to drink a chamomile tea. :roll

·
Banned
642 Posts
Depends. Some doctors hand out Ambien like greeters at Walmart give out stickers to kids. But if the celexa is causing your insomnia try taking it in the morning, otherwise I may pass on that drug. My "sense of self", decreases rapidly without a good nights rest. Perhaps try anitriptyline. It's an older anti depressant but definitely causes drowsiness.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I would prefer Trazodone over Amitriptyline because it has less side effects. Works well as an sleep aid, can easily be combined with Celexa and you can't get dependent on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It depends on the doctor. My GP laughs at people who say they can't sleep and tells them to drink a chamomile tea. :roll
Sometimes I feel as if I could kill someone when they tell me to just drink some tea.
I like my ambien. I just take breaks from it.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I like my ambien. I just take breaks from it.
How long have you taken it for? I like my ambien to, but I have taken it 4 years and doesn't work. It has helped my insomnia alot but now I believe it has made it worse because of tolerance. My doc wont prescribe more then 10mg. My doc gave my lunesta 2mg which doesn't work. I take 2 pills (4mg) which helps me sleep. I had a 90 day supply but soon my bottle will be gone and will wonder what to do next.

Does anyone know of a doctor I could see that would specialize in sleep? I am not interested in any sleep studies. I just want a doc who understands insomnia and is willing to travel different routes to treat it. I am NOT interested in a doctor telling me about CBT changes I can make to sleep better.

Do psychiatrist treat insomnia?

·
Banned
642 Posts
I would prefer Trazodone over Amitriptyline because it has less side effects. Works well as an sleep aid, can easily be combined with Celexa and you can't get dependent on it.
Never tried Trazodone, is it an AD? My problem is not feeling tired but turning my head off to sleep. The amitriptyline definitly made me feel tired but I would just lye in bed and yawn. The next day effects sucked too....

Ambien for the longest time truely was a wonder drug

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually most doctors are probably going to be very hesitant about prescribing trazadone or amitriptyline while on celexa because the risk of serotonin syndrom. I've tried both and prefer amitriptyline for sleep and have taken it while on SSRI's without getting serotonin syndrome. But because the risk of serotonin syndrome you are more likely to be prescribed ambien or lunesta, neither of which I find helpful.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Actually most doctors are probably going to be very hesitant about prescribing trazadone or amitriptyline while on celexa because the risk of serotonin syndrom. I've tried both and prefer amitriptyline for sleep and have taken it while on SSRI's without getting serotonin syndrome. But because the risk of serotonin syndrome you are more likely to be prescribed ambien or lunesta, neither of which I find helpful.
Both Trazodone and Amitriptyline are weak SRIs. Trazodone is very often used here in Europe as a sleep aid for people who are on SSRIs. Amitriptyline can even be combined with the MAOI Tranylcypromine (Parnate).

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Perhaps try anitriptyline. It's an older anti depressant but definitely causes drowsiness.
I'd remove the 'definitely'. Didn't sedate me even when I pushed the dose up to 150 mg. Provides severe dry mouth like other TCAs though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How long have you taken it for? I like my ambien to, but I have taken it 4 years and doesn't work. It has helped my insomnia alot but now I believe it has made it worse because of tolerance. My doc wont prescribe more then 10mg. My doc gave my lunesta 2mg which doesn't work. I take 2 pills (4mg) which helps me sleep. I had a 90 day supply but soon my bottle will be gone and will wonder what to do next.

Does anyone know of a doctor I could see that would specialize in sleep? I am not interested in any sleep studies. I just want a doc who understands insomnia and is willing to travel different routes to treat it. I am NOT interested in a doctor telling me about CBT changes I can make to sleep better.

Do psychiatrist treat insomnia?
I have been taking it for about 3 years now. It fizzles out every so often so when I feel it not working I stop taking it for a month or 2 than start again. I like to sleep its just not often that I can. Too much chatter in my brain to sleep.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I have been taking it for about 3 years now. It fizzles out every so often so when I feel it not working I stop taking it for a month or 2 than start again. I like to sleep its just not often that I can. Too much chatter in my brain to sleep.
Me to....My brains zips along all night. You said you stop taking it for a month or so. How the FCC do you just stop. Do you use anything else to aid in sleep? Like I've mentioned before. Ambien has both helped my insomnia and made it very worse. Now it's even HARDER to sleep without it,or the use of some sleep aid

·
Registered
74 Posts
Me to.... How the FCC do you just stop. Do you use anything else to aid in sleep? Like I've mentioned before. Ambien has both helped my insomnia and made it very worse. Now it's even HARDER to sleep without it,or the use of some sleep aid
I have never been a sleeper so when I stop taking ambien its just normal I guess. I do however function a lot better on 7 or 8 hrs of sleep. I get by with 3 to 4 hours with out to much of a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts