Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been really unhappy lately, and I'm just sick of being lonely, and feeling like I have nobody, etc, etc. I started seeing a counselor at my college, but it's been really hard to get an appointment, so I've only been a couple times.

But anyway, I was just wondering if I should go on medication. Honestly, the idea of medication scares me a lot. I'm worried that it'll screw with my brain chemistry, that I'll become dependent on it, that it will make my anxiety worse, that I'll suffer bad side effects from medication, and that I'll have to change medications all the time or constantly up the dosages. I'm also worried about the social stigma of being someone who's "on meds". Are these fears legitimate? What have other people experienced after taking medication?

Also, I always wondered why social anxiety is treated with antidepressants. I know a lot of time those 2 go hand in hand, but sometimes they don't, and sometimes it seems like the depression is only a consequence of social anxiety. AKA, SA makes you lonely, and loneliness leads to depression. Will going on antidepressants help me make friends? Have a relationship?

Anyway, I'm at the end of my rope, and I want to know if medication can really help. I was on antidepressants once for a short period of time (no I don't remember which one), but I really didn't notice any positive effects. Of course, I was only on a low dose, and I was really opposed to medicating at that point, so I didn't really give it a chance.

Have other people had positive experiences with medication? negative? are meds (specifically antidepressants) a long term solution, or just a temporary fix until you "get back on your feet"? please help me out, I'm feeling pretty desperate here!!!!

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I've read the medication forums up and down and honestly it seems like no one has found anything that lasts or works forever. The best people here seem to have a super abundance of neuroscience/medical knowledge and create their own concoctions. Given the time, money, knowledge and questionable experimenting required, it certainly turns me off. I haven't seen anyone find a wonder drug on this forum.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think medications can be worth it, but alone should not be the solution. I'm taking a combo of lexapro 5mg(working my way up to 10mg from 2.5mg) and wellbutrin 150mg and it seems to be taking away 75% of my depression and anxiety. But it is important to take other steps to work on the issues as well. I don't think medications are a cure all, I see them more as a tool to help make depression/anxiety more manigable so you can concentrate on making positive changes through counselling and other therapies.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read the medication forums up and down and honestly it seems like no one has found anything that lasts or works forever. The best people here seem to have a super abundance of neuroscience/medical knowledge and create their own concoctions. Given the time, money, knowledge and questionable experimenting required, it certainly turns me off. I haven't seen anyone find a wonder drug on this forum.
Mmmm, yeah those things worry me too. But what's the alternative? Just lying around in misery like I am right now? I'd still like to hear from people who have actually been on medication (either currently or in the past) and find out what their experiences are. Obviously if there was some "miracle cure" we'd all probably be taking it. I just want to know if medication is helpful enough that the benefits outweigh the risks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think medications can be worth it, but alone should not be the solution. I'm taking a combo of lexapro 5mg(working my way up to 10mg from 2.5mg) and wellbutrin 150mg and it seems to be taking away 75% of my depression and anxiety. But it is important to take other steps to work on the issues as well. I don't think medications are a cure all, I see them more as a tool to help make depression/anxiety more manigable so you can concentrate on making positive changes through counselling and other therapies.
could you give any specific examples of how medication has helped you in your everyday life? Why do you think antidepressants help to relieve anxiety?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Drealm: Neither have I. SA really just can't be treated effectively with modern meds. Effectively is the key word. Sure I juice up on some Addy/Benzo combo, and it works well. But for how long???? To be honest. The side effects of of the Addy (loss of appetite, HUGE insomnia problem, tension in my muscles at times, and the biggest side effect......The day after adderall.) It knocks my baseline mood down several pegs for a few days. BUT. I feel little or no anxiety on Adderall. I'd only need/use a benzo if i were to a super charged social situation to kill any nervousness. But usually the Adderall is all I need, still, it's a ****ty aprroach to treating SA.

cellophanegirl: Many people on here seem to have SA for different reasons. What exactly is the problem with you?

·
Registered
582 Posts
could you give any specific examples of how medication has helped you in your everyday life? Why do you think antidepressants help to relieve anxiety?
I can honestly say that for the first time in a long time i was able to go to shopping without the overwhelming urge to flee the store. I'm no where nears a jumpy or moody and i am having more happy days than bad days and more confidence in gerneral. I'm have only been on lexapro for 3 weeks and just added the wellbutrin in the last 3 days. I'm not cured but i have noticed a marked increase in my quality of life despite several serious issues that are making things a lot harder for me right now. I'm not exactly sure how the medications work to relieve anxiety

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sorry, could you clarify what you mean by this? I don't know why I have SA, I just do.
What I mean is different people on this board seem to have SA for different reasons. People like myself, Euphoria, and Belfort have SA because to us socializing feels like work. It's mentally draining and to a certain extent unrewarding to socialize with people. It seems we are more motivated to not socialize by pain associated with socializing (mental draining/fatigue, lack of pleasure from social interaction) causing us to feel anxiety when we are forced to socialize. This type of SA really is the hardest to treat, because the solution requires more then just anxiety medication to feel better.

ALOT of people on this board on the other hand seem to have SA because they feel nervous around people. They feel their anxiety is masking their true personality. So if anxiety alone is truly your problem.....then you may feel some effects from an SSRI/SNRI or benzo to relieve some of your symptoms

·
Registered
263 Posts
To add....the concerns you listed are legit. We all worry about same questions. Often times meds give No relief, unpleasant side effects, or have to keep upping to dose to sustain it's effectiveness. Once the max dose is reach, often times the only available option is to change meds.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ TiMeZuP:

Yes, I guess I would fit into the second category you descibed (although both categories sound similar to me). I have a hard time with first meetings. Meeting strangers is stressful and anxiety provoking. I often end up feeling bad after talking with people if I feel like they didn't like me, or I acted weird, or I said something that didn't connect with them. I run things over in my head a lot. I tend to look away when I see people in the halls who I am not close friends with, even if I know them decently well and have talked with them before.

I do think I have the ability to connect with people, if they are persistant enough to get to know me. Unfortunately, this leaves me with very few friends, and the ones I do have are not neccessarily the ones I wish I had.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The biggest concern I have with medication, is that it will permanently alter my brain chemistry. For example, if I was mildly depressed, and then went on some antidepressant, would it be possible that I would become more depressed than I ever had been before if I went off it again? Could my brain become so dependent on meds that it couldn't function well without them?

·
Registered
263 Posts
@ TiMeZuP:

Yes, I guess I would fit into the second category you descibed (although both categories sound similar to me). I have a hard time with first meetings. Meeting strangers is stressful and anxiety provoking. I often end up feeling bad after talking with people if I feel like they didn't like me, or I acted weird, or I said something that didn't connect with them. I run things over in my head a lot. I tend to look away when I see people in the halls who I am not close friends with, even if I know them decently well and have talked with them before. .
Some SSRI/SNRI's help reduce your anxiety levels in social situations. Benzo's do a better job though.

I do think I have the ability to connect with people, if they are persistant enough to get to know me. Unfortunately, this leaves me with very few friends, and the ones I do have are not neccessarily the ones I wish I had.
If you take an anxiety med and still feel people have to be persisitant to get to know YOU, then that involved SA I listed in the first category

·
Registered
263 Posts
Usually meds provide some discomfort when you discontinue using them (i.e.. you may feel depressed and other side effects for awhile) After a short period of time people tend to feel "normal" for them. Whether you would feel more depressed then every before after you stop using a med, tough to say. Different people have to different gages of depression. Here's the dealio. If your at a point in your life your tired of this, then do something about it. If your considering the med route, go for it. Discontinuing a med can feel uncomfortable, but some times this is the price we have to take for taking a risk to solve our problems. Doing something is better then nothing.

The biggest concern I have with medication, is that it will permanently alter my brain chemistry. For example, if I was mildly depressed, and then went on some antidepressant, would it be possible that I would become more depressed than I ever had been before if I went off it again? Could my brain become so dependent on meds that it couldn't function well without them?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Between suffering and medication, I'll always choose medication. It makes no sense not to at least try medication. If you're not willing to take a risk (i.e. try medication), then you're probably not suffering from SA too much.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Perhaps you haven't seen my posts then. Although, Prozac was a wonder drug it did poop out, so I guess that makes it a moot point.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Between suffering and medication, I'll always choose medication. It makes no sense not to at least try medication. If you're not willing to take a risk (i.e. try medication), then you're probably not suffering from SA too much.
Have you really tried all those meds in your sig? Damn that's alot! Is your current regime working best for you in your opinion?

--

The knowledge some of the users on here have about meds is remarkable. I think many Sa'ers are quite intelligent folk as they can be very insightful and inquisitive. However, I personally am very sceptical about meds. I may have only tried 2 but I'm adamant that only we can alter our own brain chemistry by just trying and trying to live our lives and find motivation from within ourselves to work on our problems.

Having said that, I find that bloody hard as well.

When it comes down to flight or fight, we need to somehow hang in there and fight it out. This is what I'm aiming to do once I'm off Celexa and get some therapy or something to ****en get some stability in my life. If all else fails then I'm going to have to try something different and that will be a combo of ssri/snri with anti anxiety meds.

My personal battle has always been of social anxiety and inferiority to others, which has led to depression. I also have personality traits such as perfectionism and very low self esteem which overall has caused me to be unsure of myself and discovery of 'who i am'.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
I would definatly go on medication if exposing yourself to social situations doesnt work, there are very effective meds out there for social anxiety, like the old MAOI's, when they work they completely wipe out social anxiety.

My anxiety used to be both physical and psychlogical but i have build alot of self confidece over the years to the point that i'm just trapped in a body with social anxiety.

Now with the confidence i'm looking for a medicine that would fix the last bit of my anxiety.

Dont give up with meds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts