Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or does that run it's course and you need reasons independant of others to keep on?

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
I'm not sure. Although it often feels like I'm living for others who may or may not really give a **** about me, I've rarely gone long without having some selfish arbitrary goal or distraction to keep me sticking around.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
This is from a book called "Do it yourself therapy"

"Every person has two basic needs: belonging and significance. Belonging means feeling connected, accepted, and part of a greater whole. Significance refers to how you are unique, distinct, and special."

Or one is connected with others and another desire is independence and strength. So you need a balance is what it is saying.

·
wtf
419 Posts
This is from a book called "Do it yourself therapy"

"Every person has two basic needs: belonging and significance. Belonging means feeling connected, accepted, and part of a greater whole. Significance refers to how you are unique, distinct, and special."

Or one is connected with others and another desire is independence and strength. So you need a balance is what it is saying.
Thanks. I always wondered about this.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
To be honest I currently am living just for my mother. I have two sisters and some nephews but I really don't care if I "do it" after my mom leaves this world and they are still here. Sure I love them but I never felt a true connection with them or any of my friends or other relatives. Really, I got nothing to live for but my mother. I just can't do this to her, she would cry herself to her tomb. I think if I had more true connections with other people I wouldn't feel so alone all of the time. Sigh.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I think it depends on the person. I really enjoy helping other people. I feel best when I know I'm actively making someone's life better/easier for them. And I can live on just that for the most part. It's just in my personality or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts