Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it with most people. It seems as if society's ideals is totally ****** up and the idea of friendship is for one "friend" to use another "friend" then move on to the next person.
So sick of having one-sided friendships, where I mostly contact the person and they rarely contact ME first. Or where I'm forgotten.

I have some questions:

Isn't it kissing someone's behind if you constantly contact them while they straight up forget you exist (until they need something) and they're grinning in someone else's face (a new friend they've acquired)?
Isn't it supposed to be MUTUAL and RECIPROCAL? I'm sick of being used and abused. My boyfriend tells me that I'm over-analyzing things and that it isn't ***-kissing when someone contacts a friend more than that friend contacts them, but I think he's DEAD WRONG. I'm not about to be FOOLED again--there's no way I'm going to contact someone first when they haven't bothered to do the same for EONS. I'm not gonna look like a FOOL or get HURT AGAIN. I don't know if it sounds crazy, but to me, it makes sense. I'd rather be alone than to do that ego-crushing nonsense.

Does it make sense to any of you? Y'all tell me, lol.

And another thing...
It seems as if ppl have forgotten the art of courtesy, as if it's a foreign concept. My boyfriend always says "Hi" to strangers on the street. Sometimes I join him, but when I question him about talking to strangers who don't say "Hi" back, he doesn't care. He just says "Hi" for the heck of it, and says I am being hypocritical when I don't. The only reason I don't say "Hi" is if that person looks uninviting or mean (I study faces all the time). I like to say "Hi" to ppl who are nice and I'm comfortable around them. Extra points if I know them, but of course there are the ones I do know I don't always say "Hi" to, because their moods shift like the wind, (another thing that ticks me off about some people--their moods, smh)!
Today I said "Hi" to someone on FB, in messenger, and they didn't even bother to say "Hi" back. Just responded in a bored kinda tone. (It seemed bored and annoyed to me). Ridiculous.

Basically, I only have a handful I deal with in my life (a few buddies, boyfriend, some family members). I don't have many, because I don't rely on people; I've been hurt too many times to the point that I feel like this world is corrupted and there's no saving it.
My boyfriend is growing tired of my philosophy on these things, but it's how I feel! So my last questions? Is it worth being nice to people in general all the time? Am I justified in how I feel? Sometimes I wish I were a hermit or become a recluse, because most people really get on my nerves. >=[

P.S. I hope that many of you on SAS are much nicer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sadly the world is filled with a lot of inconsiderate people who simply don't appreciate the damage they are causing on an emotional level.

Personally I've found it useful to only bother trying to retain a few friends, and I've been very careful to pick people who are generally considerate and nice.

Generally speaking I don't think you should have to be nice to everyone you meet, just those you trust. People are naturally suspicious of strangers, so there's no sense being too kind to someone who may view you as hostile simply because they don't know you.

As a fellow SAS sufferer I know it's really difficult to ignore when people are being rude, and the best we can do is to make sure we surround ourselves with decent people.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
I don't know about friendships. I think I'm a pretty decent person but I gotta admit that sometimes I'm not good with staying in touch with people. It's not that I don't want to but I need some time on my own every now and then and when I am in touch with people that are very social and wants to talk a lot, it happens they contact me first quite often. But I don't forget about them. If it goes a while and we haven't talked and I realized I have been lazy initiating contact I usually contact them and chat them up.

So my point would be perhaps I would classify as one of those lousy friends you mentioned. Even though I don't use people or see our friendships as one-sided, of course friendships must be mutual and I try to be supportive and there for friends when they need me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The things is that we are all individuals and we cannot all get along the same. I do believe that being nice to everyone is important, but that is different than friendship. You choose people you like/get along and work on that relationships. If someone rejected you, then don't care for them. Find someone who will treat you the way you want to be treated. Good thing is when people show their true colors from the start. With some people you are not a real friend, but more superficial one, so don't invest yourself too much if other side doesn't either. If someone don't contact you as much as you don't contact them doesn't necessarily has to mean they don't care as you do. Sometimes if someone is more of an introvert can be like that. But you feel that kind of tings, when someone cares but is shy or when someone really don't care.

You are not crazy, but idealistic over social niceness, I can relate to that. You have to accept that there are personalities as many as people, so everyone will not react the same...Everyone is different, so don't mind people which behavior you don't approve and mind those you do.

And it is not worth being nice in a sense you seem to project. You're being overly nice and you shouldn't care so much. Some people maybe don't like you and will find it annoying. So I think you should tone it down a bit. Not everyone enjoys any company. Some prefer to be alone or just with someone special to them.

P.S. I hope that many of you on SAS are much nicer.
I can say that people here are very nice, gotta give them credit for that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts