Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always talked to myself since I can remember. I don't just whisper talk, I talk like I'm actually talking to somebody. Nobody has ever really caught me since I talk to myself when nobody is around me. But a few days agog my mom caught me talking to myself and it was extremely embarrassing. I am now asking SAS what I should do about my problem.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ive always talked to myself since I can remember. I don't just whisper talk, I talk like I'm actually talking to somebody. Nobody has ever really caught me since I talk to myself when nobody is around me. But a few days agog my mom caught me talking to myself and it was extremely embarrassing. I am now asking SAS what I should do about my problem.
I do that, I do it a lot I think. I have constant mock conversations with people in my head all the time. But sometimes I sort of start speaking out loud or usually under my breath. I don't usually do it when I'm around other people but If I'm not paying attention I will sometimes.
On very rare occasions people have said something to me. When i catch myself doing it I usually try to play it off like I'm talking out loud about something I'm doing. Which is sort of weird too but I feel like it's more acceptable than looking like I'm always talking to people who aren't there.
But that doesn't keep it from happening of course. And sadly I feel like over the years it's getting worse. I'm sure it's related to my SA and depression. It's directly caused by me constantly having mock conversations with people in my head and I don't think I would be doing that if I actually felt good and were being more social.

·
ScrewedUp
43 Posts
I do the same thing. Not sure why or how normal it is.. But yeah. I talk to myself all the time when I'm alone. Sometimes I catch myself whispering things kind of like that one little kid on the TV show The Middle. But much quieter. Nobody else has noticed me doing it, or if they have they haven't said anything about it. It's also common for me to have fake conversations in my head. I don't know why. I'm trying to stop but it just happens!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do it ALL the time. I talk to myself, sometimes I talk aloud without realizing that! I have many mock conversations in my head all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My little brother complains that I sometimes talk under my breath. I don't have conversations with myself, I just think something fascinating and the words just come out from my mouth.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Man I have alot of debates with myself about **** most people don't care about and it gets pretty lively. So I quit talking to myself before my coworkers/family think I've completely gone insane

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, not weird. I know plenty of people that do it. I usually only talk to myself when I'm alone & stressed out. Also, if I've had too much caffeine I'll do it. A friend of mine always talks to himself when he's drunk.

·
Bro..
273 Posts
Man I have alot of debates with myself about **** most people don't care about and it gets pretty lively. So I quit talking to myself before my coworkers/family think I've completely gone insane
Haha :clap yes! It's not just basic yes or no questions or a first person monologue. It's a fully detailed and annotated exchange of any and all things related to a topic. I also change who I'm talking to that would best fit the person on the receiving end. These never actually emerge though because it's weird as heck.

And then there's the basic grocery store convo "hmm looks good, look at the nutrition facts, ok whatever they don't matter just look at the front of the box and see if it looks good"

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Maybe try writing it down, that helps me. I whisper-talk to myself, and sometimes in public I talk to myself in my head and then I get paranoid that I'm accidentally mouthing the words. :um

·
In my mind
154 Posts
i do it too..

actually i have been doing it for a good half an hour atm..

i dont see nothing wrong with it..
at least i like to do it..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I talk to myself, I try to avoid doing it in public but when i'm in the house I do it.

Example:

Inner me: "So what are we going to do?"
Outer me: "What are you talking about?"
Inner me: "I'm talking about the game, are we going to go to FP?"
Outer me: "Well duh, I want those mercs"
Inner me: "Okay"

·
SAS Member
237 Posts
Sometimes I'll catch myself murmuring under my breath, sometimes even louder. I never do it around people because I think I'm way too careful. Since I have pretty bad SA I'd be super super embarrassed if I was caught doing it. But yeah. While I'm talking to myself sometimes I'll even start making hand gestures too and won't notice, so if someone saw me I'm sure they'd think I was crazy.

·
Not Updating
139 Posts
No this is not healthy behavior for someone who has social anxiety. I would be concerned if I were doing that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think it's normal for those who has anxiety because we need to find a way to release ANXIETY or TENSION. Some has it in different outlets. Talking it aloud is one of the outlets.

·
In my mind
154 Posts
I talk to myself, I try to avoid doing it in public but when i'm in the house I do it.

Example:

Inner me: "So what are we going to do?"
Outer me: "What are you talking about?"
Inner me: "I'm talking about the game, are we going to go to FP?"
Outer me: "Well duh, I want those mercs"
Inner me: "Okay"
I do it all the time i just recently become a litle scared when i said "we have to" and it worried me that i was a crazy thing because it reminded me of those scenes of golum in lord of the rings.

·
Nyctophiliac
327 Posts
No. In fact, I hear that talking to oneself is actually beneficial to your brain. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts