Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I read on Wikipedia, that daily use of Benzodiazepine drugs leads to complete loss of their anxiolytic properties after merely four months, is this actually true?

Could some long term users share your thoughts on this. My klonopin has been helping me so much, my life has improved in so many ways since I got my prescription a few weeks ago. I would be so discouraged if this drug will no longer work for me in four months!

If true how many days a week could I take it while still avoiding tolerance? It has such a long half life.....

Article I read this in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_dependence

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
not only, long term use of benzos would worsen GAD yet I can't help taking them massively.

·
bipolar
17,248 Posts
I would say it's very possible that they lose a lot of their potency although I have no idea about the time frame. I have no experience with Klonopin, but plenty with Xanax - another benzo.

Developing a tolerance to benzos is widely known and even more widely described in the medical literature. It's been going on for decades.

Take them as you need them would be the best bet - not every day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes from my experience. Been taking Klonopin for 2 years around 0.5-2mg daily and I can say I am quite depressed right now. Maybe as a test I'll take 6mg at once but I'd doubt I'll feel as much as an effect. There is still an effect especially in very high anxiety situations, but it's nothing comparable to back in the days when I was taking them fresh for 2 months.

2 or max 3 times a week would be ideal in your situation IMO.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
How long have you been using benzos?
since 1996. I was abusing delorazepam at the time, I've seen a famous pdoc for curing my addiction and he did put me on paroxetine and clotiazepam. Then, after one year, I threw away the clotiazepam and got back to popping delorazepam.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you go up from the lowest dose than your risk of abuse/tolerance/dependence all go up. My doc will not move me up from the lowest Clonazapam dose (.5mg) for that reason. If you don't go up you should be just fine. There is research that shows the more you take the less it will work the next time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go up from the lowest dose than your risk of abuse/tolerance/dependence all go up. My doc will not move me up from the lowest Clonazapam dose (.5mg) for that reason. If you don't go up you should be just fine. There is research that shows the more you take the less it will work the next time.
My pdoc has started me at .5 three times daily, I am a big guy though at 6'4'' 197, so obviously this is different than a small women taking the same dose. Did you mean .5 per day though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts