Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My job is not even exciting. It's tedious but it's not that bad compared to the other jobs I had.

It's casual too but as far as I know it'll last for 6-8 months. I have plans to study part-time in the evening so I can acquire a job in the field that I want.

I like having a place to go and I like working and being busy. I like being around people even though I don't talk that much. Most of the people there are rather anti-social but I guess it's expected with new people. People are busy doing their job.

Also it's only 10 mins from my house and it pays well so there's no reason to complain.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
It's quite the opposite of sad and so many people would love to feel the way you do about work. If you are going to spend the next 40 years working, might as well try to enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
It's not sad. You're very lucky. I hate working with a passion. The only thing I hate more than working is working just to hand my paycheck over to the government to reward those who don't.

·
Registered
137 Posts
it is good when you find a place to work that isn't too bad to go to each day.
If you have to work 50 years or so, might as well work at something reasonably enjoyable if possible.

what type of work do you do?

·
Looking for an argument
2,347 Posts
I envy you, but having said that in my opinion there's only one thing worse than having to go to a job you don't like and thats having no job at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nah you are not sad to like your job, I think you are very fortunate.
I like my job because it keeps me active but I do think environment and staff play a big part. If you do not like the people who you work with and the place you work in than it will most likely bring you down.

·
Woot woot!
272 Posts
Not sad at all. I LOVE my work and I do crazy hours because I choose to even if I dont have to. I dont even have to show up but I go because I love what I do.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the people who I asked what I do - I test set top boxes for pay television. Or cable boxes/DVR for Americans.

I'm actually annoyed now because I haven't been working this week as the refurbishment department need to catch up.

I only like the job because it's close to my house and pays well as I'm a casual. I wouldn't like it if I have to travel for an hour everyday. Also sometimes when it's slow I can watch tv and I'm left alone most of the time.

What does everyone do?

·
Merry whatever
2,136 Posts
No. Most people absolutely dread going to work. (myself included)
A happy worker is generally a more productive one. And a productive worker will generally get noticed by their manager (in a good way)
Don't worry about it being "not exciting", after all its work. As long as you enjoy it, life will be alot easier.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My job is not even exciting. It's tedious but it's not that bad compared to the other jobs I had.

It's casual too but as far as I know it'll last for 6-8 months. I have plans to study part-time in the evening so I can acquire a job in the field that I want.

I like having a place to go and I like working and being busy. I like being around people even though I don't talk that much. Most of the people there are rather anti-social but I guess it's expected with new people. People are busy doing their job.

Also it's only 10 mins from my house and it pays well so there's no reason to complain.

It sounds good, actually.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can relate. My job can be tedious sometimes, too, but even then I like the sense of accomplishment that comes after completing a long list of repetitive tasks. I think that's a good spirit to have, since many jobs have some degree of tedium. And living close is a huge plus! Some people spend two or more hours a day commuting, but being close you can use that time to work out or something.

·
Straight Edge Soldier
52 Posts
It's awesome that you do. I feel the same exact way. Most people think I'm crazy for it (I work at Wal-Mart after all), but it's been a great starting point in battling my SA. I have to deal with people at all times and while that's absolutely nerve wracking for someone like me, I'm getting much better in my people skills day by day. Having a place to go is great too cause I don't like just forcing myself into a social setting. But work is just a natural place to go, meet people and have stuff to do.

This is my first job personally. Before it, I was terrified work would be exactly like school and I'd be miserable. It's been the exact opposite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts