Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
12,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my life I've been told I've had PDD-NOS, but according to a teacher and this one student of the month poster which stated I had it it(which I requested to be removed immediately), I have Aspergers too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
PDD-NOS is the label they give someone when they don't quite fit the symptoms of aspergers or autism but seem to have many of the symptoms on the autism spectrum. PDD-NOS and aspergers can look a lot alike. A teacher may mistake one for the other or it's possible as you've gotten older your symptoms have become more like aspergers and less like PDD-NOS. Technically you could be labelled with both disorders. I work part time at a resource centre for young children with autism and have seen this dual diagnosis. But the two disorders are very similar, it wouldn't matter which one you are diagnosed with or if you were diagnosed with both. The 'treatment plan' would be the same. Hope that answers your question. :)

·
Banned
12,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

But another thing. This all feels so weird for me now because one, I'm just finding out, and two only about half the symptoms of aspergers seem to fit me. http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-symptoms. The big thing about aspergers sufferers is their lack of empathy and being unable to pick up on emotions. I have empathy and I do pick up on emotions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are truly empathetic and can pick up on emotions then I would venture to guess that you do not have Aspergers as, like you said, those are two big characteristics of the disorder. In that case PDD-NOS might be the more correct diagnosis. But as I said, the treatment plan for both is the same so it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The big thing about aspergers sufferers is their lack of empathy and being unable to pick up on emotions. I have empathy and I do pick up on emotions.
"The empathy imbalance hypothesis (EIH) of autism, in keeping with the theory of mind hypothesis (Baron-Cohen, 1995), proposes that autism involves a significant cognitive empathy (CE) deficit. However, the hypothesis also proposes, in contrast to prevailing theory, that people with autism actually have a heightened capacity for basic emotional empathy (EE)."

http://cogprints.org/6799/1/TPRVol59No3-SMITH.pdf

·
Registered
52 Posts
Actually it's a myth that aspies don't have empathy, they actually do. Some have too much they get over loaded they shut down. But they just don't know how to express it or how to show it and when they do, it's awkward. They may come off as being cold hearted or uncaring. They may give out logical support than emotional support. Logical support would be telling you solutions for your problems than comforting you.

I unfortunately give out logical support it is sometimes bad because sometimes people need emotional support and I suck at it. To me it's all fake and I don't know what to say.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Thanks.

But another thing. This all feels so weird for me now because one, I'm just finding out, and two only about half the symptoms of aspergers seem to fit me. http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-symptoms. The big thing about aspergers sufferers is their lack of empathy and being unable to pick up on emotions. I have empathy and I do pick up on emotions.
It's technically not possible to have both if you adhere rigidly to the DSM, but some are diagnosed with both or have their diagnosis altered at some stage. Many doctors don't go by the book with diagnosis and base diagnosis on practical concerns such as which label might draw less stigma or gain more access to services. They also make mistakes. Sometimes it's not even your doctor who changes your label. That teacher you mention might just have used Asperger's unofficially, out of convenience, since it's a less cumbersome and mysterious term than Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

Picking up on emotions is not an ability that's binary - switched on or off - it's a spectrum. Try not to read the criteria literally. There's always a spread about the average (sometimes large) in studies on emotion recognition in autism. Same with instruments measuring the empathy construct. While there are some clear overall differences between those diagnosed with autism and those not, the populations overlap at some point on various measures. Trouble reading people (their thoughts, intentions and emotions) can be subtle at the high functioning ASD end, such that you may not recognise you have much difficulty, but it is still enough to impact functioning.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
People with aspergers can be very empathetic. It's dangerous to make the assumption that they arenot because it puts autistic people in the same class as sociopaths which couldn't be farther from the truth! An autistic person may hurt someone's feelings without realizing it, but once they realize that they hurt the other person's feelings, they will be apologetic and feel bad about it. Autistic people feel empathy... they just don't have the skills to read other people emotionally, and of course, it's on a spectrum.

Don't worry about the label. Even most psychologists don't really care about labels. If you feel that you don't have a hard time reading people or relating to people emotionally then you most likely do not have aspergers.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
People with aspergers can be very empathetic. It's dangerous to make the assumption that they arenot because it puts autistic people in the same class as sociopaths which couldn't be farther from the truth! An autistic person may hurt someone's feelings without realizing it, but once they realize that they hurt the other person's feelings, they will be apologetic and feel bad about it. Autistic people feel empathy... they just don't have the skills to read other people emotionally, and of course, it's on a spectrum.

Don't worry about the label. Even most psychologists don't really care about labels. If you feel that you don't have a hard time reading people or relating to people emotionally then you most likely do not have aspergers.
That was very useful information.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
As for PDD and Aspergers, you can't have both because they both refer to disorders on the same spectrum. If you fit into more than just Aspergers, it's labelled PDD not Aspergers. They're just labels for criteria anyway, it's pointless differentiating between them.

Also note that there's a difference between feeling/understanding emotion and actually feeling sorry for people. Part of the reason I was misdiagnosed with ASD instead of ADHD is because I appear to lack empathy, when in reality I just don't care how most people feel. If you can read/understand/feel other peoples' emotions and describe them (without sounding like a thesaurus or describing the physical feelings/appearances; that's the important part, any trained monkey could describe emotions based on those), then you're fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts