Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like Lamotrigine for example ? If not, Could I get any better profit or improvement from 600mg of pregabaline + Nardil ?

I have been taking 60mg of Nardil with 380mg of Lyrica for 9 weeks now, but in the sense of my phobic anxiety disorder and depression I have not got much from it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You can, but personally I'd try upping your dose and adding therapy before adding more drugs. Took me 2 months on 60 and three months on 75 before I got good results from my nardil

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
You can, but personally I'd try upping your dose and adding therapy before adding more drugs. Took me 2 months on 60 and three months on 75 before I got good results from my nardil
I am curious about your reasoning behind 'adding therapy'
I think first of all you are assuming that Mike111 has never been to therapy, which may may not be correct. Also therapy is generally useless at treating the type of major treatment resistant depression and anxiety that one would take MAOI's for.

The suggestion just strikes me as really odd because I have been through way too much therapy and it was the greatest waste of my life, infact made my symptoms worse. I guess, what do you know that I don't? Tell me the secret?

·
Registered
580 Posts
wow 5 months before you saw any improvements?!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am curious about your reasoning behind 'adding therapy'
I think first of all you are assuming that Mike111 has never been to therapy, which may may not be correct. Also therapy is generally useless at treating the type of major treatment resistant depression and anxiety that one would take MAOI's for.

The suggestion just strikes me as really odd because I have been through way too much therapy and it was the greatest waste of my life, infact made my symptoms worse. I guess, what do you know that I don't? Tell me the secret?
I had been to therapy prior to starting Nardil and got nothing out of it. Didn't make my anxiety worse, but didn't help at all, either. Once on Nardil, I gave it another shot because I felt I was in a frame of mind where I could benefit from therapy. My experience with therapy while on Nardil was much more positive and I feel as if it has helped me tremendously, though it could possibly be a coincidence that my Nardil just stabilized shortly after starting therapy. Just my personal experience.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I saw mild improvement prior to five months, but it was very up and down. Some weeks I felt as if I was not on Nardil at all, and other weeks it was better. About a month into therapy and 3 months into 75 mg everything stabilized and I pretty much feel like a normal person.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Maybe if you follow the "recommended" doses. When I first started Nardil, I was taking 5 pills at a time, 2 or 3 times per day. Because Nardil is irreversible, the pills are very low dose. It takes several weeks or a month for it to reach equilibrium. If you're me, it takes less than 1 week to hit equilibrium. I want my MAO blocked right now. I don't want to wait around for weeks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't think it is a simple matter of percent MAO inhibition. If so, I should have seen results well before 3 months on 75 mg. Rather I think the therapeutic value of Nardil lies in the brain's response to the MAO inhibition, which explains why Nardil can take much longer to relieve depression and anxiety then it takes to reach steady-state MAO inhibition.

Also, I really would not recommend taking 225 mg/day of Nardil. That's a good way to get extremely dangerous hypotension. Even following recommend dosing my blood pressure was down to 50/30 at one point.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I was curious about the math behind my previous post, so I thought I would share this very unscientific and medically dangerous math with everyone else. At equilibrium, you would say the Nardil and your body's ability to make MAO balance out, otherwise the Nardil would just keep building up until you reach 100% inhibition and you'd be in a constant state of mania. Let's assume your body's MAO production is equivalent to 45mg/day of Nardil (15mg x 3 pills). It apparently takes 2 weeks (14 days) to completely rebuild all of your MAO. That would mean the amount of MAO in your system before you started taking Nardil is about 45mg/day x 14 days = equivalent to 630mg of Nardil.
Taking 15 Nardil pills in one day would be 675mg. By my own numbers, I should have hit equilibrium on day 1.

That would actually explain a lot. I was very manic for the first couple weeks of Nardil. Now I know why! I felt amazing. I had to tell everybody in the world about this great drug I was taking and how well it worked.

I don't think it is a simple matter of percent MAO inhibition. If so, I should have seen results well before 3 months on 75 mg.
Maybe his brain is a lot more robust than most. If his production of MAO is very high, then it would take a very long time for Nardil to reach equilibrium. It's like those math problems where the MAO train leaves the station at 100mph and it has a 2 week head start. The Nardil train follows it at 110mph. When will the Nardil train catch the MAO train? edit: I'll answer this problem too.
(100mph)(2 weeks) + (100mph)(X weeks) = (110mph)(X weeks)
200 + 100x = 110x
200 = 10x
x = 20 weeks to reach equilibrium (5 months). Of course these numbers don't actually mean anything. It's just an example of how the math works if everything were nice and linear, which it probably isn't. Everything in biology is curved and frustrating.

Also, I really would not recommend taking 225 mg/day of Nardil. That's a good way to get extremely dangerous hypotension. Even following recommend dosing my blood pressure was down to 50/30 at one point.
What is your normal blood pressure? Mine's 130/80 and pulse around 90. On Nardil, it's more like 120/something, and the pulse is lower.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My doctor is not much enthusiastic to go to higher doses than 60mg (he thinks it wont help in my case), but instead of that idea he want to augment Nardil with Lamotrigine, mostly due to my mood swings, depression and irritability.

As for your Nardil experiences, could you tell me, what dosage did you start at and how did you work your way up ? How fast did you titrate up to that dose ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
What is your normal blood pressure? Mine's 130/80 and pulse around 90. On Nardil, it's more like 120/something, and the pulse is lower.
Mine was 145/95 prior to starting Nardil (hypertension runs in my family), and now is close to a perfect 120/80. I always had cold hands and warts prior to starting Nardil, and it seems to have cured those problems as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 day on 45 mg, 2 months on 60 mg, then at 75 for 4 or 5 months now.
and Did you get any improvement or any significant better effects at 60mg during that 2 months ? What affected your decision to go from 60 to 75 mg ?

If I may ask, What drugs do you take and for what diagnosis ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
and Did you get any improvement or any significant better effects at 60mg during that 2 months ? What affected your decision to go from 60 to 75 mg ?

If I may ask, What drugs do you take and for what diagnosis ?
Slight improvement during the first two months but it was very up and down and I still was very nervous in certain social situations so we decided to go up to 75.

Nardil is currently the only drug I take and my diagnosis is atypical dysthimia with anxiety.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Mine was 145/95 prior to starting Nardil (hypertension runs in my family), and now is close to a perfect 120/80. I always had cold hands and warts prior to starting Nardil, and it seems to have cured those problems as well.
Nice :clap

Opening up blood vessels gets the blood flowing. Warmer skin, warmer hands, warmer feet. Just like any other pump, using big pipes creates less back pressure. Your blood pressure goes way down just because there's no bottle necking in the system. Prozac and Celexa were good for that too. I had really warm feet on those.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah, I'd say if your doctor wants to do it it's definitely possible. It sounds like a good idea to me, too. I love(d) lamotrigine, until it stopped working. That was for bipolar though, not SA. It pulled me right out of depression and gave me my life back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts