Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It means people walk all over you, like a doormat. They push you around, tell you what to do, take advantage of you, etc. Dictionary.com's second definition of doormat is: a person who is the habitual object of abuse or humiliation by another.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most SA males find it hard to find a girlfriend and because of this when they get into a relationship they might feel they have to put up with more than the normal person to avoid losing that person. Added to that they don't have they social skills to handle conflicts very well.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Most SA males find it hard to find a girlfriend and because of this when they get into a relationship they might feel they have to put up with more than the normal person to avoid losing that person. Added to that they don't have they social skills to handle conflicts very well.
Your certainly right about that.
Although, when I realized this was beginning to happen, I just stopped talking to the girl.

[ accepting birthday & christmas gifts from me, and still not wanting me to call you my girlfriend, in front of people ]

that is doormat treatment i will NOT put up with.

I may have S.A. but I don't put up with sh_t either.

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
No. Its not possible.
Unless you find a really exceptional wonderful person. And in that case since there's only maybe 20 good people in the whole world- you better keep that person around as long as you can.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I'd also like to add SA females to that, too. :yes

And I agree with everything you said. It'd be hard to not be a doormat, I think, in this situation. You just have to hope the gf/bf/husband/wife/partner won't treat you like a doormat.
Also, I think, a lot of people, not saying all, fall into treating their SA partner like a doormat because it's so easy. If you have a partner who doesn't stand up to you, won't challenge anything you say or do, never does anything that might upset you, well, some people will take advantage of that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, you just turn them into the doormat first

:twak

I kid, I kid...

The issue is that people get strength from social relationships and if you have no confidence you make yourself seem like a doormat.

You need to have even more confidence than people who are more social. I mean most of those people are really pretty weak, that's why they often have such losers for friends. If you have SA chances are that you can do with less people than the average person and that's strength in it's own right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd put up with being a doormat if I could actually get a girlfriend...I'm a doormat to everybody else in my life anyways...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts