Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start college this fall and I think that to start fresh I should change how I dress a bit. I've been kind of into the more girly/cute things, knee-length tulle skirts and ballet flats and all. However, I've dressed really casual for most of my life (t-shirts, shorts,sneakers the whole shebang). I still want to dress casual but I want to dive into a new style and wear more girly outfits from time to time.

Unfortunately, this makes me really nervous and I have no idea why. Maybe it's because it requires money being spent and I'm kind of a penny pincher or maybe that I'm afraid of what my parents will say?

I don't know, but for some reason college gives me this new weird vibe and I almost feel like someone in a movie where I can actually dress nice and feel pretty, haha. Maybe it's because I won't see anyone from my high school so I can finally open out; i mean, every day in high school I've worn very casual things and was afraid what people would say if I wore something nicer since they're used to seeing me wear casual stuff.

Anyway, is it somewhat normal (if there is a proper definition to the word normal) to be nervous about changing up parts of my wardrobe a bit? And should I go for it? I'm just also afraid of the money being spent...

Oh, and please try to ignore my abhorrent grammar, haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it's normal.

And you should do what you want to do.

Decide, and then act, or decide, and then let it go, or decide and let it go until it's time to act.

Less thought and more action, or non-action. I don't know. Just less thought.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm not sure about normal (because I'm far from normal!) but I get this way as well. I'm actually transferring to a new college in the Fall, so I want to change up my style a little too. Like you, I dress very casual, and very rarely do I dress girly. I'm nervous because I'm scared of what other people will think of how I dress. I know I shouldn't care, but I do!

Edit: Ok others are saying it's normal, so I'm guessing it is!

·
suh dude
1,466 Posts
Yea that's definitely normal. If you have the desire to do it, then do it! Worst case scenario is you proved to yourself you can take a little risk here and there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about normal (because I'm far from normal!) but I get this way as well. I'm actually transferring to a new college in the Fall, so I want to change up my style a little too. Like you, I dress very casual, and very rarely do I dress girly. I'm nervous because I'm scared of what other people will think of how I dress. I know I shouldn't care, but I do!

Edit: Ok others are saying it's normal, so I'm guessing it is!
lol thanks! And well, as long as you're not wearing a popcorn thong or and prancing around with every piece of jewelry you own I think you'll be okay. And since you're transferring you're starting new! That means no one will have seen you before so I doubt they can really judge you.

(I hope my words can convince myself, haha. And p.s. i'm far from normal too C:
)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
lol thanks! And well, as long as you're not wearing a popcorn thong or and prancing around with every piece of jewelry you own I think you'll be okay. And since you're transferring you're starting new! That means no one will have seen you before so I doubt they can really judge you.

(I hope my words can convince myself, haha. And p.s. i'm far from normal too C:
)
Very true, thanks for the assurance! Hope everything works out for you!

·
likes sloths.
265 Posts
it's normal! I wore a band t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers every single day when I was in high school. my first year of university, I was too scared of what my parents would say if I bought more feminine clothes. I imagined they'd give me the whole "don't buy **** you'll never wear!" speech. I eventually did it anyways, though, and they did give me a speech - but I proved them wrong. I still get really nervous every time I try something "fashion forward" (that's a horrible term, I feel embarrassed saying it), but it's worth it. you're scared to stick out, and I get that because I am too, but you'll be sticking out for a good reason. if anyone says anything negative about it, it's probably out of intimidation. it took me three years to grow the balls to try a romper (play suit if you live in the UK), and let me tell you, they're the cutest, most comfortable things ever. go for it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts