Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
nm jc
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing I might be a lil paranoid here but is it just me....or do some strangers in public just stare at you?

is there something wrong with me or does this happen to you too? makes me uncomfortable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I feel that way too. I wonder if people can tell that Im nervous and it makes me stand out in a crowd? I dunno

·
saudades
1,072 Posts
I always feel like people are staring at me too...which in turn makes me feel extremely self conscious and fidgety. I think it's all in my mind though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's all in your head. In order to see people staring at you, you have to be staring at them as well. Alot of times I feel people are staring at me through my peripheral vision, so I glance at them and they weren't looking at me at all.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I'm guessing I might be a lil paranoid here but is it just me....or do some strangers in public just stare at you?

is there something wrong with me or does this happen to you too? makes me uncomfortable.
I am one of those that has this problem at times......trust me, there is nothing wrong with you. It is just interest in a sense that the person is afraid of reaching out. I keep thinking of a child watching older people, as if he was in awe. It is innocent and there is nothing wrong with you. Just think of yourself as being on a television program where the ratings are always good :).

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
It's not just you. Lots of people are stared at. Chances are the people who are staring at you have been stared at before, too, haha. I feel uncomfortable at times but I try to keep myself busy so I don't notice them as much. Once you get to a point where you just don't care what other people are doing (which is an achievable point), it won't bother you as much. Till then, it's normal to be stared at and it's normal to feel uncomfortable about it. :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I feel that way too. Even if I'm with a group of other people, I feel like people pick me out and stare and judge me, probably because I look so stiff and awkward and scared. Sucks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
No there's nothing wrong with you, but with the gazers!

Putting aside affection.

Sorry, but IMO staring is nothing but a sign of low intelligence and bad education!

I consider staring at people an extreme invasion of an individual's privacy! The people being stared at are being objectified! They are not considered and respected as individuals.

Children need to be taught and need to learn to adjust their staring behaviour.They need to learn to differentiate between watching tv and computer games and real life!

But when was the last time you witnessed parents telling their children: "Don't stare at...!"

I remember being taught not to stare and not to point out fingers at people! But these days that is probably considered a restriction of personality development...

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
It's probably more your perception. Plus, some people are just rude and stare at everybody.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry, but IMO staring is nothing but a sign of low intelligence and bad education!

I consider staring at people an extreme invasion of an individual's privacy! The people being stared at are being objectified! They are not considered and respected as individuals.
Well said.

I can't stand staring and it does appear to be way too "normal".

·
Sarah
130 Posts
I always think people are staring at me when i go out, it fills me with hate and i end up so angry that i just feel there is no point in even trying to go anywhere anymore!

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I guess I'm not intelligent and have been poorly educated because I stare at people sometimes, haha. I'm a people watcher and when I find someone interesting, I will stare at them. Granted when they find me staring at them, I own and it and smile so they know I'm not staring at them in a negative way.

Children sometimes need to stare though, the very young ones (infants and toddlers). They need to use all 5 senses to learn about the world around them. There's a certain point where you may intervene, sure, when they're being completely rude about it. But if they're just staring and seem really interested in something, I think it should be socially acceptable. You know, we try so hard to make children start acting like adults and it speeds them through development way too soon. Children need to be children before they become adults. They really do need that time to build a foundation. Let them stare for a while. ;)

I do get how uncomfortable it can be though. I have a birthmark underneath my left eye that I get really self-conscious about and and you know kids...they will stare at it, haha. But I know it's just because they're curious so if they don't ask, I'll tell them it's my birthmark and ask them if they have one and then it's normal to them. Really, with kids, you can make it a positive experience like that and they'll grow up to be very accepting people. Adults, though, are not the same way haha.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
It's all in your head. In order to see people staring at you, you have to be staring at them as well. Alot of times I feel people are staring at me through my peripheral vision, so I glance at them and they weren't looking at me at all.
I'm like that too, but I have to keep glancing at them several times to make sure they aren't turning their heads, and then they do start to stare at me for some reason. :um ??

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
This happened to me today. I was at a kwik mart and one of the lady workers kept glancing at me, so I would look at her back. After I left I thought maybe she kept looking at me because I would look back at her and she was wondering why I kept looking at her. Or, maybe she liked me. I don't know. Too bad I wasn't attracted to her or maybe it would've been different.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This happened to me today. I was at a kwik mart and one of the lady workers kept glancing at me, so I would look at her back. After I left I thought maybe she kept looking at me because I would look back at her and she was wondering why I kept looking at her. Or, maybe she liked me. I don't know. Too bad I wasn't attracted to her or maybe it would've been different.
She was checking you out:b

1 - 20 of 45 Posts