Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
At the edge of the world
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, yeah I need to earn money to survive but I dont even really think about it. I dont get excited or even care about a payrise etc. There is an incentive where if your stats are good you could earn extra cash and prizes but I just didnt care. I dont spend that much money unless I have too.

I'm only really working in my job to survive and I've been there for years but if I could pack it in and earn pickings of money not to do it I would take that option, even though I'd be throwing away all the money and privileges that comes with it. Most people enjoy a job and lifestyle because of the money and it allows them to progress and enhance life, but for me I couldnt care less really, even if they cut my wages in half I wouldnt care, as long as I have enough for food and bills/rent. Its like living in a prison sentence. The extra money that I dont have to spend I just save, maybe one day for my funeral.

Does anyone else live chained to a mundane job and feel the same?

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
It's easy for me to say in my cush job, but yes, as a minimalist I never really cared about promotions and raises. It's part of my discomfort and dislike for going to work and my anxiety of going to work that I don't like going to work.

Unfortunately I grew up poor and need to keep this charade up for a while because the last gens left me nothing but negatives, so I just need to pay bills until an auto-check consistently shows up from the government Social Security when I'm like 65 or whenever that auto-check date is.

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
I'm just at work to pay the bills - I don't care about promotions and all that crap. Bonuses aren't really an incentive for me either - we have half yearly performance bonuses at work which everybody falls over themselves to get, but I really don't care. Every week everyone else in my team gets excited at hearing what our team's statistics are for the week in regards to our performance measurement (KPIs), seemingly oblivious to the fact that they're just corporate tools.

I guess it's exciting if you love money. I live a very modest lifestyle so have few outgoings - anything I win just gets saved.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i can relate with this mindset , i too just think of it for paying bills . i have a low life expectation that doesn't need much money. am happy with little.

problem now is that am broke as hell.

·
Banned
104 Posts
I feel pretty much the same way. I'd rather do something that I really enjoy and barely make enough money to live off of than make a lot of money with a boring job. And with my job, it's boring, menial, and I don't even make a lot of money. So it's the worst of both worlds.

·
At the edge of the world
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just at work to pay the bills - I don't care about promotions and all that crap. Bonuses aren't really an incentive for me either - we have half yearly performance bonuses at work which everybody falls over themselves to get, but I really don't care. Every week everyone else in my team gets excited at hearing what our team's statistics are for the week in regards to our performance measurement (KPIs), seemingly oblivious to the fact that they're just corporate tools.

I guess it's exciting if you love money. I live a very modest lifestyle so have few outgoings - anything I win just gets saved.
I guess you could call it wage slavery, your working only because you have to and if there is no other jobs you can get you can feel bound to work where you dont like. I know you have to work in this world but by working only to stay alive in a mundane job its wage slavery IMO

·
Registered
189 Posts
I mean, yeah I need to earn money to survive but I dont even really think about it. I dont get excited or even care about a payrise etc. There is an incentive where if your stats are good you could earn extra cash and prizes but I just didnt care. I dont spend that much money unless I have too.

I'm only really working in my job to survive and I've been there for years but if I could pack it in and earn pickings of money not to do it I would take that option, even though I'd be throwing away all the money and privileges that comes with it. Most people enjoy a job and lifestyle because of the money and it allows them to progress and enhance life, but for me I couldnt care less really, even if they cut my wages in half I wouldnt care, as long as I have enough for food and bills/rent. Its like living in a prison sentence. The extra money that I dont have to spend I just save, maybe one day for my funeral.

Does anyone else live chained to a mundane job and feel the same?
I hear ye, and have been there, had that same feeling years back.

But now I can tell you, if your SHORT of money that is an even worse hell, believe me.

Truth is most jobs are not that great - it is what is inside you as a person that makes you 'alive', and I suppose part of that is what you give out.

Don't take money for granted - it can save your life, and be handy for so many things. So just save it in meantime, and look for ways to improve your life outside of work.

·
At the edge of the world
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I feel the same. People who take the bait and push themselves usually beyond their means don't understand that the company have just created these incentives to drive numbers, squeeze more sweat and work out of people. Of course that's the base reason behind the incentives but many people probably think that their really doing it because they care about the workers or want to drive overall moral unless it means more work can be done.

I just cant be bothered. Just putting up and surviving to the end of the week is hard enough for me. An incentive doesnt magically boost my self esteem, its just a generic idea ruled out to all the sites, its nothing personal.

I have spent a lot of money in the past on things I didnt need but for the past year I am really saving. It makes me feel a bit better wasting away in this job knowing that I'm saving so maybe one day it will be there when I really need it. A minor comfort but it feels much better than the crap that people fonder over in today's modern workplace. No plans for the future, the future makes me feel very depressed, I just aim to survive the week, and then the next etc

·
Registered
189 Posts
Incentive schemes, targets can really suck - I have experienced that also. We had the infamous Employee of the Month - a monthly ritual of total falseness and irrelevance.

In some ways its more noble to 'man your post' - that is stoic and admirable.

If an employee wants to push forward in their career then that's fine - but to force everybody to do it in a generic way is a very bad idea.

An even worse thing companies do is to announce there will be some redundancies - then everyone is wondering who will have to go - and the politics of THAT is the worst working conditions and lowest moral I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I feel the same. People who take the bait and push themselves usually beyond their means don't understand that the company have just created these incentives to drive numbers, squeeze more sweat and work out of people. Of course that's the base reason behind the incentives but many people probably think that their really doing it because they care about the workers or want to drive overall moral unless it means more work can be done.

I just cant be bothered. Just putting up and surviving to the end of the week is hard enough for me. An incentive doesnt magically boost my self esteem, its just a generic idea ruled out to all the sites, its nothing personal.

I have spent a lot of money in the past on things I didnt need but for the past year I am really saving. It makes me feel a bit better wasting away in this job knowing that I'm saving so maybe one day it will be there when I really need it. A minor comfort but it feels much better than the crap that people fonder over in today's modern workplace. No plans for the future, the future makes me feel very depressed, I just aim to survive the week, and then the next etc
+1. This is the only way I get through and feel like something positive is coming out of this crap job,the more you save,the more security you have for when the times get tough...

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's right - and money can give flexibility and breathing-space - it can be your best friend.

Too many people see their job as the meaning of life and search for an ideal - and then they get disappointed when it doesn't measure up to their high expectations. But for most of us our job is a day-to-day hard slog and we get paid for our efforts.

When you cannot get a job - that is when you REALLY know what this life is all about!

·
At the edge of the world
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Incentive schemes, targets can really suck - I have experienced that also. We had the infamous Employee of the Month - a monthly ritual of total falseness and irrelevance.

In some ways its more noble to 'man your post' - that is stoic and admirable.

If an employee wants to push forward in their career then that's fine - but to force everybody to do it in a generic way is a very bad idea.
We have something like that, all the people who did exceptionally well get put up on a board, they used to put a picture of the person on a weekly basis. I didnt care but I imagine the people who did would feel like crap. When they have a top 10 performers its like a battle of the egos. If my picture went up there for some bizarre reason I would take it down immediately (although I doubt it ever would be up), it almost feels like rubbing it in other employees faces, your mug up there grinning down with smug pride for a false and cheap shot at morall. I always hated the employee of the month process.

That's right - and money can give flexibility and breathing-space - it can be your best friend.

Too many people see their job as the meaning of life and search for an ideal - and then they get disappointed when it doesn't measure up to their high expectations. But for most of us our job is a day-to-day hard slog and we get paid for our efforts.

When you cannot get a job - that is when you REALLY know what this life is all about!
I agree, but in a way I kinda wish I would lose my job. I know money wise it would be crippling but it would force me to find something else, and if there isnt anything else I would just have to keep trying, but maybe a change of lifestyle is required, even if it would seem difficult and stressful. I've been paying into the system for the past 7 years so I would expect to get job seekers while I was looking. Just a thought

·
darkangel
242 Posts
I started college a year ago and got with-drawn because of bad grades, I know for a fact I could have done allot better if not for SAD. I was doing well at first getting good grades and just f**cked it all up with this stupid mentality getting to me. I'm in a new college now, and of course "at first was happy and exited to be there"...at guess what?...the same f**cking thing happened again because of my SAD. Now mine isn't really like most people's where their shy, 'cause I'm not shy but I'm very quite and kept to myself but i'm really bold too (so it's like bi-polar kind'a). And on top of that, I have absolutely no filter at all!..I'll say exactly how I feel and whatever the hells on my mind at the time...of course in college that's a big no no concerning politics there....so now I'm just quite and feel like a b*tch...cause I already got in trouble with the dean..got a warning...and everybody knows I can't say sh*t now...so like the cowards they are...they all hang out and sniker at me, make jokes, blah blah blah....and I'm very able to get good grades, but sometimes I let this get to me and I'm now ending up with bad grades because because of it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts