Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

The problem I mainly have is with my mother in law. She would describe herself as being blunt and that she 'tells it like it is'. I personally think she is just offensive most of the time.
I appreciate genuine, honest people but unless someone has specifically asked for your opinion it quite often wont be welcome.
As my wife and I live with her she is not someone I can easily avoid.
If she realizes that she has offended someone she resorts to the phrase 'I hate people who wear their feelings on their nose'
Is it that much of a crime to be sensitive?
Any advice would be welcome

·
(.*?)
6,786 Posts
Sounds like a selfish jerk who takes pride in offending people. Unfortunately, in an old person that's unlikely to change.

·
alien monk
8,703 Posts
probs when you live with people that's not your partner you're gonna find problems with them. it's not easy.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,946 Posts
If she realizes that she has offended someone she resorts to the phrase 'I hate people who wear their feelings on their nose'
That is an emotional statement, which shows that she is thinking emotionally rather than rationally. It is a trend that I often see with offensive people, they like to pretend they are immune to the effects of emotion when it is they that are often acting out on emotions.

It is not your fault that you felt offended, you didn't initiate it she did. Her own offense to you being offended is the result of her own foolish behavior. Don't beat yourself up over it.

·
Super Moderator
8,735 Posts
Sounds like typical self centered-ness on her part. I guess this is indeed one of those common "in-law things". I imagine living with her and seeing her daily constantly must be rough and stressful. Hope this is temporary.

With people like this, one thing you can try is to be offensive against her right back, to see how she reacts. If she reacts sensitively, you can throw that same phrase back at her. And tell her something like "you see how I feel now too?!" 😅 Although doing stuff like this to an in-law could very well backfire. But just throwing this out there.

Reactions: Bigblind
1 - 8 of 8 Posts