Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
I'm assuming your asking about taking meds for social anxiety.
Well I don't believe taking medication to help take the edge off your social anxiety is morally wrong. I take Zoloft to help with my anxiety.
Why do you ask?
Do you believe its morally wrong to take medication. :)

·
Banned
959 Posts
I have no problem with people taking meds. I do not, because I found they did not work for me and I don't like the risks involved with some of them.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I don't see why taking legal meds in order to cope with SA (or something else) would be immoral. I am not under any medication now, but if I had to take some, I would....

I would be curious to know on what basis someone would say taking medication to cope with a condition or pain is immoral... Are Tylenols evil?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't understand why it would be considered morally wrong, unless if you're part of a religion that is against medication\medicinal care and only believes in remedies based on faith and belief in their God.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Ummm, no?

I'd like to know why it could be considered morally wrong. Unless you're one of those who believe that all medicine goes against god's will or something, then I guess it might be wrong for you.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Or if you believe that chemicals are hard on your body and that it's wrong to harm your body unnecessarily. But then you also have to believe that it isn't necessary. Sort of what I believe, but I don't think it's wrong for anyone else unless they feel the same way, and I'm also currently being immoral by still being addicted to klonopin lol.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Or if you believe that chemicals are hard on your body and that it's wrong to harm your body unnecessarily. But then you also have to believe that it isn't necessary. Sort of what I believe, but I don't think it's wrong for anyone else unless they feel the same way, and I'm also currently being immoral by still being addicted to klonopin lol.
I think that's the debate with all medications. No medication is good for you, but as long as the positive effects of a drug outweigh the negative effects then I would say it's justified (e.g. antipsychotic meds can have some pretty horrific side effects, but can enable a person with schizophrenia to have some control over their life and their illness).

·
The empty one
83 Posts
Morals are meaningless, do whats beneficial to you and dispel the social norm of whats right and wrong.

·
alien monk
8,438 Posts
Maybe it is wrong to spend lots of money on useless meds while poor people starve... but then its just as bad to have a nice car or a big house that you don't really need.

I don't take meds because I really don't need them. If I needed them I would take them and laugh at starving children.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i suppose i should explain myself a little more fully, but I think the less I say the better. This way it is left within all of you to find your own answer without influence

..now to go back on what I just said:

Why would it be morally wrong...
I grew up in an environment in which struggle is a path of wholesome character. Simply put, if it were easy- there is no gain. Take the challenge out of life and your are already dead- there is no lesson being gained nor genuine experience. Life is seen as a challenge, a constant trial with the wanted outcome to achieve power. Power being- the ability to control your own person, wants, needs, desires. I know this goes far beyond such a simple question, but for those of you curious about my background, there you have it.

I believe taking medication to deal with pain, fever, allergies, and severe mental disorders (schizophrenia, dementia, etc..)to be acceptable. But when it comes to taking medications to alter emotions (because we are talking about emotion here) - for me it's like denying who you are entirely. Yes it is uncomfortable to be afflicted with such instability in life, but it is a struggle gifted particularly to each one of you- and i don't think its an unconquerable one at that.

So i suppose you could say my real question is- Does anyone see a value in struggle besides myself?

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
i suppose i should explain myself a little more fully, but I think the less I say the better. This way it is left within all of you to find your own answer without influence

..now to go back on what I just said:

Why would it be morally wrong...
I grew up in an environment in which struggle is a path of wholesome character. Simply put, if it were easy- there is no gain. Take the challenge out of life and your are already dead- there is no lesson being gained nor genuine experience. Life is seen as a challenge, a constant trial with the wanted outcome to achieve power. Power being- the ability to control your own person, wants, needs, desires. I know this goes far beyond such a simple question, but for those of you curious about my background, there you have it.

I believe taking medication to deal with pain, fever, allergies, and severe mental disorders (schizophrenia, dementia, etc..)to be acceptable. But when it comes to taking medications to alter emotions (because we are talking about emotion here) - for me it's like denying who you are entirely. Yes it is uncomfortable to be afflicted with such instability in life, but it is a struggle gifted particularly to each one of you- and i don't think its an unconquerable one at that.

So i suppose you could say my real question is- Does anyone see a value in struggle besides myself?
There's certainly something to be said for struggle and how it makes us who we are and (sometimes) makes us better people. But there's also value in eliminating needless suffering. You could think of medication like a tool. Sure, I could pound nails in using my forehead. Or I could use a hammer.

·
alien monk
8,438 Posts
Really everything is a struggle. Taking meds. Not taking meds. Getting up in the morning. I don't do drugs or drink alcohol or smoke. I guess I don't value the struggle in itself, because then I should smoke so I can struggle to quit or struggle with lung cancer. Struggling can be a kind of medicene, it can make you stronger, but it can also make you depressed or dead.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's certainly something to be said for struggle and how it makes us who we are and (sometimes) makes us better people. But there's also value in eliminating needless suffering. You could think of medication like a tool. Sure, I could pound nails in using my forehead. Or I could use a hammer.
which is true, if you do not see a value in overcoming this specific adversity.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
No shame in it.
Meds are like training wheels - they should help you while you get your thinking back on track.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts