Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... convince me i shouldn't be myself.

I went out with a mate for the day, had a few drinks (he is sober) but I was far from being drunk myself. I was still in control. Basically, we ended up in McD just having a casual conversation about future plans, when he goes and orders a Mac with no cheese. I was just being myself and got my order before he got his, to which I turned round to my mate (and not the staff) and said something like 'how long does it take to do a mac with no cheese? You only have to take off the cheese from one of those sitting there!!'. I thought this was pretty funny in a stupid kind of way, but the cashier seemed to get offended and told me that 'the cheese had melted so they couldn't do that'. I just said 'yea i know sorry i was only joking' and after leaving my mate turns round and says 'yea you retard, she hates you now'. And again, in the takeaway place today I asked a cashier to 'see her buns' ie the bread buns and she turns round and says 'thats quite inappropriate!' in a joking kind of way. I was speechless but just kinda laughed at it. After this, though, my mate turns round and makes a comment like 'you really know how to offend people dont you?' and refers back to the McD incident.

When this guy says things like that, it really gets to me!! I am insecure in projecting my personality to the world. I suppose I come across as arrogant, BUT i have no problem engaging people and usually say something like above BUT still portray respect and genuineness. I mean, is he a toxic guy I should just avoid, or is it something about me?

I'm a sagittarius and it says they tend to say the wrong thing at the wrong time in complete innocence. That is usually how it feels to me. I try my best not to laugh at the expense of others and try to see everyone in their best light, but I do make most situations very light-hearted. I just don't know if this is normal or whether I should learn some more social grace... :(

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Either he was joking or (if he sounded serious) is just different from you and wouldn't be able to say the things you did without taking himself seriously or you really were kind of inappropriate.

I don't know. You decide. I can tell you my impression reading it is that he was totally just joking and you're taking him so unreasonably seriously that I'm like "wtf??!?". But, I mean ... you might have just not portrayed enough detail, and I would readily believe that.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hmm. I think you were just goofing off. I could see someone getting offended at the buns things, because there are guys who are pigs who will seriously say those kinds of things to women, but you were obviously joking. If the lady thought it was funny, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I think the McD incident is hilarious. I would say something like that, it's just a sense of humor. You weren't insulting anyone, you were joking about food. Honestly, I think your friend is a bit uptight. Next time he makes a comment like that that gets to you, I would ask him why he made it and say that when he puts you down like that it gets to you.

That's what I would do. I hate when it seems like people won't let you be yourself, happens to me all the time. :/ But we've got one life to live, might as well enjoy it! =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts