Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at war with my brain.

I can no longer think, work, and function the way I used to. It is as if my IQ has dropped significantly, and I am cognitively impaired.

My mind is always in a fog. I have terrible short-term memory issues. Sometimes, whilst in the middle of a sentence, I forget what I am talking about. When I am writing, I forget what I have written only seconds before. This extends to my environment – sometimes I forget where I am, what I am doing; I start to see tunnel vision and have mild panic attacks.

I can no longer focus on tasks for more than a few minutes before either getting distracted or giving up altogether. Even writing this has been an immense struggle. As such, I can no longer adequately work on my university assignments. My mind is a disorganised mess and I have a very short attention span.

My confusion, disorientation, and lack of cognition is similar to being on alcohol, which I have since given up. Sometimes, the disorientation is so bad I slip into some form of catatonia where I, according to other people, stare into space for long periods of time, completely unresponsive. After these little ‘episodes’ I remain dissociated for a long time afterwards, living my life like I’m in a dream.

On top of all this, I keep hearing things – my name being called, people saying things without their lips moving. I see shadows of people in the corner of my eye. I see people walking down the street who mysteriously vanish right before me.

I have been diagnosed with severe depression, and I will be starting CBT for it in a few weeks. I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow about medication for anxiety and depression. However, I am beginning to think that maybe my protracted time with depression has led to the formation of some other illness – maybe MCI or some form of schizophrenia.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what my issue(s) may be?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you should suggest a scan or something just to be on the safe side?
What would a scan do? Prove my brain is damaged? Can they accurately map the damage to certain illnesses?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just a suggestion....I've been losing my vision temporarily and the feeling in my hand and the docs haven't suggested anything...A scan or check could come up with many things if you have the symptoms you mentioned above.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If they put you on Prozac or something have someone watch you at the 3-5 week stage. I have killed many brain cells with alcohol abuse, so it may just be that your mind is yet to fully heal. But the posters above sound right in getting it diagnosed asap.

·
littleghost
1,928 Posts
It doesn't have to be schizophrenia. You could also have depression with psychosis. The trouble concentrating and auditory hallucinations could be from that. I just say this because at least it's more treatable than schizophrenia, which is something that lasts a lifetime. Also, are you on any meds? I took a medication that gave me auditory and visual hallucinations. I thought I was going totally crazy, but I stopped the med and the hallucinations stopped.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't have to be schizophrenia. You could also have depression with psychosis. The trouble concentrating and auditory hallucinations could be from that. I just say this because at least it's more treatable than schizophrenia, which is something that lasts a lifetime. Also, are you on any meds? I took a medication that gave me auditory and visual hallucinations. I thought I was going totally crazy, but I stopped the med and the hallucinations stopped.
No, I was on no medication. I was meant to be on Citalopram, but I gave up on it for reasons. The only drug I was taking was alcohol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts